1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreading the idea of future marriages in the family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MindvsHeart, Dec 22, 2014.

1. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I know I shouldn't be worrying about this..but I just get really anxious at the thought of having to dress up or be apart of any family member's wedding.

The only people I'm out to is my immediate family (mom + sibs + a cousin), some close friends but everyone else (most of friends/and family) still refers to me by my birthname/biological sex. I'm used to it and I doubt I want to come out to the rest because some of them are really homophobic/transphobic.
    But, I know that if any of my cousin's get married then I will most likely be in their line aka be a 'bridesmaid'.

The mere thought of that makes me anxious and :eusa_naug. I don't think I'd be able to deal with it.

Any tips? (Or I'll just be conveniently overseas at the time of whomever's wedding. My dysphoria will be so bad...) I know this is really weird to be worrying over but I just had to get it out. :icon_sad:

2. Really

Are you comfortable enough saying, "I'd love to be in your line but I'm really uncomfortable in a dress. I'm afraid I will look miserable and spoil your moment. If you'd still like me to join you, I'd love to wear a snazzy suit and stand on the groom's side so I could be there with you. If not, I completely understand and will be happy for you from my seat."
    Or some variation of that.
    Maybe make this arrangement between you and the bride. She's the only one that matters. It's her wedding.

3. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I think I could... I'll try to make an arrangement with whomever's getting married.
    Thank you for your suggestion!