1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to turn someone down nicely? (opposite sex is flirting with me...)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by WhiteShadows, Dec 26, 2014.

1. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi EC :slight_smile:

Well, I've kind of disappeared for a while because I've been making the most out of my AWESOME year in Costa Rica :lol:

If you're wondering, I'm more or less gay... I can't imagine myself in a relationship with a girl and I definitely have a preference for guys.

Well recently I've met this girl... she's one of the other exchange students here for a year from Europe. There are about 10 students in my town all from other countries and we all know each other and hang out.

I'm usually quite social with the other exchange students and I'm always trying to organise for us to go out as a group and do stuff. I've been here for longer than all the others so I try to give guidance and be there for the others.

Well, I go swimming here a lot, and one day this girl asked if she could come with me (she also used to swim a lot in her country), and without thinking it through at all, I immediately said "Yeah, sure!". Well, recently she's been starting to... flirt with me quite a lot... :eusa_doh: Like she told me about how she broke up with her ex. Then one time she was drinking a bit and told me I was hot... and now she's sending lots of other subtle but obvious hints...

The thing is, I'm not interested :/ She doesn't know I'm gay, only one of the other exchange students knows that. The other thing is that I only have about 3 weeks here now before I go back to Australia (she's here for 6 months more), so I wouldn't even consider a relationship with anyone right now...

How do I turn her down, nicely? I don't know if I want to tell her about my orientation, but if that's the least awkward way to do it, I might consider it.
    She is very pretty, and I don't want to hurt her feelings :frowning2:

Any advice?

2. SpiritBird

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, that's hard! If you're comfortable with it, I'd just casually mention a guy you've dated and see if she catches on. Or you could go the bold route and just tell her that she's very lovely, but you're not looking for anything.

3. bornthiswaybby

I think SpiritBird has an excellent idea with the guy you've dated thing! That way, it's not like "I know you want me but I'm not interested", it's less awkward in my opinion :slight_smile: If you're comfortable with that of course. If not, you could always say that you can't wait to return to your "girlfriend" back home, which again may be slightly weird seeing as you don't have one. I think the gay hinting would be best though.

4. Sek

Sek

If it's going to be done nicely, it's not going to make her feel 'stupid' or angry at herself for being interested in you. I'm not entirely sure whether you want to make her aware of your orientation, but you could bring it up somehow. Maybe start a conversation and talk about dream celebrity dates, ask who hers would be then make yours a guy.

What ever you do, keep it lighthearted and do your best to make sure she doesn't feel embarrassed for having liked you.

5. David21201

Do what i do. "Im sorry but i'm gay" or "Im sorry but I dont see you in *THAT* way. We could be friends though!"

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the responses!

Hmm... I'm thinking about doing that thing about hinting to a guy I've dated.
    The only thing is that I feel a bit bad... because I've never actually had a boyfriend so that would kind of be lying :/ But I might just have to do it... Here's hoping she's not homophobic... although I doubt she is

7. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably go for something like "I'm sorry, but there's already someone special/someone I like back home". Technically not a lie, I mean you could be talking about your mum! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

However, if you feel like you could possibly drop in the fact that you're gay, that might be the simplest solution. :slight_smile: Sometimes, even though it's awkward, it's the only way.

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I love Costa Rica!!! I hope you have had a great time there. What a beautiful country. Anyway, me, I would tell her, "you're so pretty, you know, if I were straight I would definitely want to date you!"

9. IG88

She can hint all she wants, but if she never asks you out then you never have to turn her down.

You could go a couple of routes here: drop hints that you're not interested, or be oblivious until you leave for home. If you drop hints, you don't even have to mention that you've dated a guy before (or something similar that wouldn't be lying), you could mention that you might start looking for a relationship with someone close to home. That would be your preference anyway, I'm assuming.

Also, that's really cool that you're in Costa Rica!

10. SaharaMoose

If you end up at the pool again with her, just pick out an attractive guy and start talking about how attractive he is while she's near you... I mean, it's an idea xD But if you want a simpler approach just say that you have someone special you're seeing back at home! Good luck, have fun!

11. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just a week ago I turned down a schoolmate (girl) who I have noticed has been into me very much lately.

We were out drinking with classmates, and at one point we ended up outside together, alone and I think she expected I am gonna try to kiss her. So instead, I said "I hope I'm not thinking too much of myself, but lately I've noticed you like me and I am sorry but I am actually more into guys and I think people should be hones to each other"

She said I am right that she likes me, but took it positively. She was kinda' disappointed, complained jokingly that "all the best guys are gay" but said that she is glad that I have told her. We ended up dancing together the rest of the night just for fun, it was great fun :slight_smile: She is one of the few people that know so far.

So, if you know that your friend is tolerant, don't hesitate and tell her!

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations on coming out to your friend! Every one counts! And she's so right! All the best guys ARE gay! :lol:

13. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm hoping to tell her tonight when we go swimming. Not sure exactly how I'll do it, but I'm thinking of maybe just the more direct and sincere approach. I'll post back tonight and let you guys know how it went.

Wish me luck!

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Good luck! :thumbsup:

15. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we went swimming as planned, and then just before she went, I said

"Hey, can I talk to you about something?"
    And then I just told her. There was a bit more to it than that, but basically I just said that I wanted her to know I was gay and that I was kind of getting signals from her. It was a little weird, but she was totally ok with it and said she was glad I told her.

So... I'm pretty happy :grin:

Thanks for all the help, everyone.
    If you ever find yourself in this situation, I recommend being honest and just coming out to them if you can (as long as the person is not obviously homophobic).

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

and she was probably a bit relieved to know the reason that you weren't responding to her signals. well done! thanks for showing us how to do it, the right way! :thumbsup:

17. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Good job man, you've done the right thing :slight_smile: