1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED DATING ADVICE (met a really nice guy) and self-esteem advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Alex K, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Alex K

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am 18 years old and haven't any real relationship experience. I've dated girls in the past and I haven't gone through any of the troubles I'm facing now because they were different circumstances. I wasn't sure of my sexuality then, it was high school, and sexual encounters were not something I had to deal with.

Since then, I had my first boyfriend I met at a track meet, first kiss, a complicated on and off relationship with him, and another guy where I didn't feel like we were a match. I'm in first year university now and I just met a guy while I was out on my own and we really hit it off. He's 22 (4 years older than me) but he looks really young and I thought we were maybe the same age when I met him. He is very sweet, kind, has similar interests, and seems like he genuinely likes me.

We went on our first date recently and I couldn't keep my eyes off him. After a long time out downtown, we went back to his place. It was not like, "Hey, do you wanna go back to my place and fool around?" When we were there we watched some Netflix and I snuggled up to him. Then after the first episode was over I looked over at him and kissed him. Then we made out and it was really nice. We got a little more intense with it but he said that if I felt uncomfortable at any time that I should say so. And he really meant it because he knew I wasn't that experienced and didn't want to take it to a place I was not comfortable with.

I won't go into too much detail but it went like that for a while and he made sure I was still comfortable. I'll get to the part where I need advice:

I ended up rubbing him through his underwear and I did see his stuff but I wasn't comfortable with him touching me. I felt like things were going too quickly and I was feeling self-conscious about my size.

He said several times throughout the day that I am cute, fit, and handsome. I'm hard on myself because I don't like hearing him say that because sometimes I don't feel like I am or that I deserve it. And so when it came to getting physical, I didn't feel adequate and I felt uncomfortable.

He was understanding and didn't want to push me so we just snuggled and I felt better after. Later on when we were walking to the bus stop which was maybe 10-20 minutes, he asked me how big I was. I felt uncomfortable again but he was saying that he didn't really care. He said there is "too big" and "too small" so somewhere around average. I don't think that I'm "too small" but I have had body image issues before (and still a bit now) so I have some anxiety over getting physical with him. I'd say I am on the lower side of average and it frustrates me (even though rationally I know that it shouldn't and that it does not matter but it really did frustrate me at the time and left me feeling very anxious).

The other thing is, how fast should I go with him? Especially because I haven't gone very far physically before. I have to admit that I was really horny but also really self-conscious and didn't want to go further because of that. I feel terrible right now. I know he'll be okay with it but I just feel very anxious, inadequate overall, and just unsure about it. I feel unsure about him but he is the best case scenario for dating so I know that there is clearly something wrong with my way of thinking.

I really need advice on this and any stories or experiences that you have had that could help. Thanks.

2. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Relax man i understand you may feel a little down about your size of your penis but thats nothing to feel bad about your just born that way. You could try talking to him more when you feel comfortable he sounds like a really understanding guy. Also learn to love yourself more if you cant love yourself how the hell you gonna love somebody else? Best of luck to you and you new sweet heart!

3. AKTodd

Hey guy - it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it. I've been with a guy who was well above average and a guy who was well below. And the guy who was huge pretty much bored me to tears, while the small guy introduced me to some of the most intense sexual pleasure I'd ever experienced.

Some of that comes down to experience (and yes, I know you aren't that experienced yet, but that will come and your guy sounds like he's very understanding about that - and remember, he was inexperienced at one time too), but a huge amount comes from empathy - from caring about whether or not your partner is enjoying themselves and paying attention to their pleasure (and they should be paying attention to yours, too).

You sound like a nice guy, and this guy you're talking about sounds pretty nice too. He's obviously liking you (and unless you've been dressed in a robe all this time, he presumably has a pretty good idea what you're body looks like and likes what he sees) and understands that you're inexperienced and is willing to work with you, and probably at your own pace. Care about his pleasure as well as your own, and expect him to care about yours and keep the lines of communication open and you should be fine.

Have confidence in yourself, care, and have fun:slight_smile:

Todd

4. Jafta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds as if you found a good nice guy. He seems to like you and care about you. Self esteem will be something that you will need to sort out yourself, but be careful. Sometimes when I have low self esteem, I stop talking to my new guy and accidentally drive him away. He may become sad and not realize that you have low self esteem, and think that you are mad at him. This could be a great start to something beautiful. As AKTodd mentioned, keep communication open and all will be fine. :slight_smile:

Jake