1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Life

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chromedome, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Say you live in a homophobic area and are in the closet, how do y'all deal with living a double sided life and compartentalizing.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, while I definitely don't recommend it, I have done it. and the way that I did it was to just do it. I lived my nominally straight life out in the open, but I couldn't change who I was, so I lived my gay life on the down low. but it took a really heavy psychological and physical toll, and resulted in major depression and exhaustion from pretending to being someone i'm not. can you move to somewhere else?

3. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How do I deal with it? Not well I'm afraid. On the outside I'm who everyone wants and expects me to be, on the inside I resent everyone around me including my family.
    Luckily for me though I study away from home, so I get that much needed space from my family and the homophobic community I'm forced to endure when I'm at home. I distract myself as much as possible whether it be catching up on my TV shows/movies or hanging out with the one person here that does accept me for what I am.

I would suggest the same, do you have anyone in particular that you trust and accepts you as are where you're living right now?

4. DelvSeigible

For me it was developing that gender identity that became the most important in my years of transitioning. My family is Catholic so much surprise when I totally act feminine at 20, memorize every female trick I can grasp. My advice: do not live double life unless you have. Strong mental defense against homophobia else you will feel like lying to yourself and you will possibly have low self esteem. Most importantly use your youth to safely explore, trust me, you do not want to live for anyone else but yourself for most of your life aside from marriage. Source: ex male honor roll student who fail to come out

5. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, i have a network of local guys I chat with online anonymously and we discuss the state of the lgbt community and stuff, but I don't really live in like one of those countries where the attitude has reached a point where I can at least be real with a few close friends and family, even if I lived In a progressed society like , south america, USA or canada or europe I don't think the public needs to know that.

Umm I'm from a middle class family so i can't just say daddy I want this and that, and I'm in my first year of college It will take at least 10 years for me to finish school establish a career and amass enough money to migrate.

i live in and independent Caribbean island, the islands under US, French, british and european rule all have reached a good way in lgbt tolerance because of the influence of the mother state i guess; of the others, I live in the most progressive island state.

6. Voidivine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Endure. Be strong. Live online and thrive. Do not let the world consume you.

7. DelvSeigible

Ignore the guy above me with just 1 short book answer. Money has no monetary value here make sure you keep that self image of yourself created by you. If you let some homophobic make your decision for you then regret will follow. I hope you live the life that you can live at your present condition and I pray that you will be safe.

Erika the Catholic

8. Voidivine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How insolent and disrespectful. Sometimes a quote is wisdom. You do not understand his situation and never will. The world is not a fairy tale of tolerance. In Chechnya, for a dire instance, you are killed for being homosexual.

Endure. Or escape. The second decision in more difficult, though more pleasant.

9. DelvSeigible

Hm, Voidivine it kinda rude to be rude hmmm thats funny. I did not state fairy tales or spin yarn, thats rude, and a quote needs explanation that you should apply, a personal explanation to extend or relate. I know the importance of not throwing quotes around from my english teachers with 6 years of hs and college. A quote is dangerous when people over use it and the ideas of a quote is not carefully explain in your replies then a person ideas are nothing more than over generalization.To be fair I was rude too, so may we agree to apologize to each other, void?

#9 DelvSeigible, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015