1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to convince my mom i dont like playing sports

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RadioRoss, Jan 3, 2015.

1. RadioRoss

So, ive been playing field hockey and lacrosse since around 3rd/4th grade. For a while, I really enjoyed it and it was a passion of mine. Until around 6th grade though, i started to get stressed out by both sports and i would feel really bored during practices and most games of both sports. In seventh grade, lacrosse became so stressful and boring that i told my mom i wanted to quit, and i gave her some reasons and she, slightly unwillingly, let me quit and i didnt play lacrosse this year. Field hockey, something that i started playing later than lacrosse and something that i enjoyed a bit more than lacrosse, continued to be in my life this year, and i played another season, in which i convinced myself that my distaste towards playing sports was real and that i needed to tell my mom i wanted to quit. She was much more upset and confused this time. When i first told her, it was during spring. To this day, the conversation still pops up and we argue about it. I tell her that it stresses me out and that i simply dont enjoy the sport. There are people on my team who dislike me and can be pretty mean at times, and there are other things in my life that are more important to me that i want to focus on during high school. She retorts saying that sports will keep me healthy and social, and that just because something stresses me out, i shouldnt run away from it, because there will be many things in life that are important that will stress me out. I tell her that ill run, bike, and generally work out more if i quit doing sports. She says that working out by myself is different from sports. I tell her that if im happy and healthy and doing well in school, then why should i have to do sports?

Basically, we argue back and forth and since she has the authority, she wins. It saddens me, knowing that she doesnt seem convinced by the fact that sports stress me out and arent enjoyable to me, and even make me feel sad or anxious at times. I guess i can understand the fact that i started to dislike sports really suddenly surprises her, but that's not really true. I started to dislike sports quite a while ago. In the end of our arguments, she usually ends up saying that she just isnt convinced. Quite frankly, I'm not convinced by her argument of "i'm not convinced, so therefore, you must do something you dont enjoy."

Help?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's true that there will be things in life that stress you out but are still important, but sports are supposed to be fun. If you don't enjoy sports and they're actually causing you more stress, then that's counterproductive to her point of forcing you to continue.

What about something else? Is there another club that you could join that you think you would like better? That way you still have an extracurricular, but it doesn't have to be a sport.