1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maturity and attraction

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by medic, Jan 6, 2015.

1. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have this slightly weird problem. Wondered if anyone else does.

I'm 21 and physically attracted to guys my age (maybe 18-24?) Obviously there are exceptions but that's generally true.

However, some degree of maturity is also pretty important for me. I find the people I get on best with tend to be older (maybe 25-30?)

Will this change because it's holding me back from ever making any moves! I think I feel maturity is important because I have so little experience with relationships/sex that I sort of want to be "shown the ropes." Could that change once I have?

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it I'm not sure it's strictly maturity. I spoke to a guy on a popular dating app (you know the one) who said on his profile he was 18. This made me feel awkward enough but then he said he was actually 17 and that made it even worse! (Ignoring the fact if he'd sent me a picture I'd have broken the law - he didn't.) He was actually fairly mature though which confused me even more. I'm not really sure what's going on! Maybe it's because I'm assuming the older partner is likely to have a more dominant role. I don't think that fits me at the stage at all.

#1 medic, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. Sek

Sek

Don't focus on age if that's not your primary concern. It seems like you value maturity most, so find a mature guy.

I'm in the same boat as you, I like 'men', not 'boys'. I'm currently with a guy who's 23 years old, 5 years older than I am. Our age gap doesn't cause any problems in connecting because we share many similarities personality-wise. In fact, I enjoy our relationship more because he's older.. It makes things interesting. :slight_smile:

Forget about labels like age, just go for a person you are comfortable with and connect to.

3. Age doesn't matter at all in my experience. I dated a 26 year old woman who was more immature than my current 19 year old girlfriend. I'm almost 21, and my current girlfriend is the more dominant one in our relationship.

What it boils down to is mainly life experience and intelligence. Both of those things build maturity. Hope that helps a bit.

4. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can definitely relate but the problem lies in that I'm not physiscally attracted to older guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I suppose eventually I'll find a middle ground.

5. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Age and maturity often go hand in hand, but this is not always the case. On very rare occasions physical features also do not reflect the age of a person. The truth is, people are different and instead of focusing on different groups of people, you should just try and find someone who you can really connect with. I would strongly advise against going for people who are under the legal age, and those that have just gone past it. At that stage in life, people have a lot on their hands to deal with, and most of the time are very stressed, which can ruin a relationship rather quickly.

6. indiqo

I don't care about age. it doesn't bother me. as long as the person is a consenting adult it's okay to me. I honestly find I relate more to people who are older than me.

7. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think it at all unusual for a young adult to be attracted to mature character traits. I am 22 years old and often feel attracted to women between 25 and 40.

8. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for all the replies! This forum is great. :love:

9. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am just dating my first guy ever and he is 29 (I am 20). At first, I felt kinda' weird but then I realized, what does it matter anyway?

There are two ways an age cap can be a problem that I can think of:
    - if you don't get on with each other - that's different from person to person ofc
    - if you wanna have biological kids, it's not good if one of the partners is too old - which doesn't apply for gay men, since we can't have biological kids

OFC, there is a slight stigma with age gaps in relationships, but then, think about it - you are gay. Your relationship is gonna be slightly abnormal to most people anyway, so don't care what others think :slight_smile: if you get on with the other guy, give it a go and see!

EDIT: Also, I know internet quizzes and stupid, but we discovered some fun app the other day that told you your "psychological age" by answering some questions. Most of my friend got around 23 or 25, and I got 31 :grin: I know it's bullshit but I felt like sharing it for fun

10. Sek

Sek

That's the beauty of the mystery of love.. Right around the corner could be someone who fits the bill perfectly, but we often find that person when we don't intentionally seek them. Keep your head up! :slight_smile:

11. Intrinsicallyme

You'll be fine. Just date whoever you're attracted to most. As far as the sex goes, it's pretty easy to figure out. Tab A goes into slot B and all that. Just tell him what you like. This coming from the (pretty much) asexual, though...