1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship Mistakes

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cobal, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Cobal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I made this thread to discuss some of the mistakes, accidents and misunderstandings that may have happened while trying to have a romantic relationship with someone. This could be what you never said (or did say) to crush, to things that ended a relationship. It could help others who are going through the same things. Some can be funny or heartfelt, but any experience can be shared.

I'll start. Haven't been In a relationship, but had an intense crush on someone at school. He was French, beautiful, liked the same stuff I l did.I'd just stare at him whenever we had a class together (hardly got any work done). The problem was I was at a time in my life when I thought all eyes were on me waiting for me to mess up and find out I was gay. So I told all my friends I hated him, couldn't stand the sight of him or be anywhere near him(that was the truth, but because I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest). When I was telling one of my friends this he was nearby, but I didn't see him and he heard all the lies. He looked hurt and asked me why I hated him. Like an idiot, instead of saying I don't I said "you can't help who you hate". And kept up the pretence throughout the rest of school. I still regret being so stupid and he is friends with some of my friends, so they don't invite me anywhere he is as they think I hate him.

2. Ow. I think if it is a safe environment you should come clean. If they are truly your friends they will understand.

3. Notlad

Telling my first boyfriend I wasn't gay, I never liked him, and basically running back to Narnia for a few years after his friends told everyone we dated.

I regret this because it hurt him, and got me in the long run all through high school. I really feel like I could have had it better and happier if I just would have gone with it all and admitted it. I could have been out by now and not trying to accept it after an extra few years of repressing it.

That's what I regret the most.

4. Bmsboy44

Bmsboy44 Guest

I dont want to be in a serious relationship

5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people

Same here. I don't think I'm ready to be committed. Yet, I'm only 14, things can change.
    I'm just afraid of not loving a guy fully.

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So many... When I was in high school, my best guy friend asked me to go with him to a play. I said yes, though we never determined whether or not it was a date. (First mistake.) I was a junior in high school at the time, young and terrified. I'd crushed on the same guy for the last five years, until he started bullying me. Anyway, I went out with my friend and we had a great time. After that we talked on Facebook and mentioned maybe going out again. I panicked and it wasn't long before summer came and we separated for the break. I appeared offline on Facebook so he wouldn't message me and didn't talk to him all summer. We never went out again, though we stayed friends until graduation. Later, when we went to prom with our circle of friends but with separate dates, I wondered what it would have been like to go together. He's definitely my one that got away.

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Not putting myself out there at all, from high school on. To afraid of social interaction (especially asking a girl out) and rejection. To bad of a self-image to think anyone thought I was attractive. Not being more proactive in discovering my sexuality early on.

You young kids don't need to worry about wanting to be in a serious relationship. When it happens, it happens, you may get into one without even knowing about it.

Just be open to the possibilities in your life.

8. Sek

Sek

Oh God. Where do I begin? I'm guilty of many mistakes within a relationship, most of which stem from psychological problems I have, like neediness, fear of rejection/not being good enough, etc.

9. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

In my marriage, not communicating, especially not signaling how I felt...

10. lionheart

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've made too many mistakes to list...

Recently, my girlfriend (now ex) of only a month asked to be friends for the second time in the duration of our relationship. Now, I'll admit, I started dating her right after she found out her previous girlfriend of two years cheated on her, but I figured that there was hope for us. I mean, if she was willing to date me...she had to like me, right? I can't believe that I was so blind beforehand, but I was really just a rebound.

I was pretty stupid. I only wish that I could have opened my eyes sooner.