1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on online relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bookaholic20, Jan 6, 2015.

1. bookaholic20

bookaholic20 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What are your opinions on online relationships?Preferably talking about two teens in the relasionship

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think for the most part they don't work, especially at a young age. Just my experience though.

3. They work....sometimes, but don't get your hopes up. Good luck.

4. mangotree

Just my opinion:
    If you've met in real life, then it's similar to a long distance relationship - which often work short-term.
    If you only know them online, then there's no way to tell if there's enough chemistry for a "relationship".

5. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I totally think one could work. Love is love, you know?

6. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I just ended one because I couldn't let go of my first love. He is devastated and I feel bad about that.

7. robclem21

I mostly agree with what others have said. I think in the short term they will work out fine, but eventually, and especially at a young age, I think most people would rather go out in person and have a good time than stay attached to their computer for dating purposes.

I think its entirely possible to love someone online and the feelings are 100% real. But with that being said, a functional relationship is entirely different.

8. Andronas

I won't talk about other people's prospects out of respect and the benefit the doubt, but I will most likely never have one myself. I need physical intimacy and the capacity to see and touch someone face to face to be able to feel connected to him emotionally.

9. White Knight

Romantic ones depending on what each indivudal needs, might work but usually don't. In the days without internet (yeah we lived in those dark times :grin:) people started relationships only with mails and get happily married.

Frienships tend to work to an extend.

At the end of the day it all depends both sides' needs, wants and ability to work things out.

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

First, you never know who's on the other end unless you see him live, either in person, or skype or something. So, you need to be cautious about that. There are tons of picture trolls out there who will act like a teenager, to get you to do stuff.

I think you can have friendships develop online, but I don't believe a long term relationship would survive with out some physical meetups. It is very easy to fall in love with the image you have of a person you've never met, but talk deeply with. Real life meetings and interactions are very different. You get to see their flaws, and quirks a lot more.

So, just be cautious, and don't make life plans based on online conversations. Also be very careful if you do ever decide to meetup with this guy.

11. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all it is important to realize that no one here can say for a fact whether a long distance relationship will work or not. It is all individual and highly based on the commitment of each individual involved. You must also realize that all long distant relationships share two characteristics. The first one being that they all must come to an end at some point, meaning that there must exist a plan on when the relationship will transition away from being long distance. And the second being the understanding that the longer the relationship is kept in the first phase, the harder it will become to maintain. Also I would like to point out that such types of relationships are very volatile and can easily be broken for the smallest of reasons, so always be prepared for the chance of this not working out, but at the same time if you decide to go through with it you must give it your all.

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

I honestly wouldn't want one. I mean I have a ****** but I don't take it very seriously, I would hook up on it at most, but I actually want to delete it; I've already accidentally lead a guy on because I didn't want to hurt his feelings, I should know better because it's happened to me too, but I forget how much it hurts. Honestly I don't know what I want, a relationship or just sex. I'll want one thing one day and another thing another day, but I manage to find hookups just fine without apps when I'm at school. It's the real stuff that's tricky, the actual "I care about you" stuff. I'd rather do that in real life, it would feel more special. Either that or be single, I'm not resorting to the online thing for my heart's needs.

Didn't know it would censor that haha it's a hookup app (the one that starts with a T).

13. QueerQueen

I was going to post my own comment, but this basically sums up my thoughts.

14. Toggle

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it depends on the two people in the relationship and what they truly want to achieve. If they both put the effort and time in with the same end goal, i can't see why it would not work.

15. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently living with the man who I met on a free dating website two and a half years ago. It was long distance. He lived in Yorkshire (UK) and I lived in Sussex (UK). I lived In Yorkshire for 2 years and now we live in Sussex. We rent but we are looking forward to buying a house together soon.

16. Yosia

Like any relationship, they work if you are willing to make them work, and willing to fix them when it goes wrong instead of tossing it aside. ^.^

17. tulipinacup

Give it a shot, it lasted for 3 years but I wouldn't ever do it again. I think online relationship can work if both parties really commit to each other. For my experience though, it's emotionally draining since my exbf and I long for intimacy and it's frustrating that we live so far away from each other. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for it because I know few people who have successfully married irl however given the circumstance that both of you are in a relationship, it's going to be hard. Money is going to be greatly used for when you guys want to meet up and I doubt you two teenagers are able to provide travelling expenses.

Don't let this be an encouragement but a warning if you are currently in an online/long distance relationship.

18. NatWheeled

Online relationships are hard, and require a great deal of trust, commitment and communication!
    They require a great deal of maturity too...which younger people lack. I've been in a LDR for over 6 months now and for the most part its been great. Currently my gf has been preoccupied with friends n there's been some net issues that have limited communication but with patience and honest communication I know we'll get through it.

For me there are a few things that are required to make it work

1. Communication!!!!! I can't stress that enough, cause really online its all ya got.

2. Patience

3. A definite plan for the long distance to end! At some point, you two gotta work out when where n how to transition from the cyber world to the physical world.

4. Trust! This is another biggie, but when you only get a few hours or even less to be with your partner online then its easy to let the counts of your mind plant seeds of what they might be doing offline.

5. Time! Don't just think you can chat for a few minutes than disappear for an unknown amount of time. This is the problem I'm currently having with my GF. It leaves me feeling like the third wheel a bit, or sidelined.

Of course all of these, yes even #3, are required in any romantic relationship

19. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    after having two online relationships blow up in my face I wouldn't recommend them for everyone. the last one was actually short-lived so I was upset only briefly.

the other was something else entirely. we met in a chatroom, spent a little over a year talking mainly on msn messenger, started talking on the phone and had a couple video chats. after 2 years I finally talked her into letting me come see her. we spent a week together and less than 2 weeks after I got home a mutual friend "let it slip" that she was having sex with someone else.

best advice I could give would be to proceed with caution as you would with any new relationship, especially if you're feeling you want it to become something more.

20. lionheart

Out Status:
    Some people
    No one can truly say whether it's right, wrong, or not worth it. Everyone has their own experiences. Life is about trial and error, so you'll never truly know the answer unless you experience it yourself.

It's not really my thing.