1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your parents policy on dating?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gaynerd64, Jan 7, 2015.

1. gaynerd64

I am going to ask my parents if I'm allowed to have a boyfriend / girlfriend because they have never said anything to me about it. I feel rather nervous because I'm afraid that they will not take it seriously. I'm curious about what other people's parents have said about dating.

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Only policies: Don't get her pregnant. make sure she's not a gold digger, and just be happy.
    Obviously the first two won't be needed

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

you've definitely got the right attitude! :thumbsup: The only way to know what they think is to ask them. Or to tell them that you are planning to ask someone out, and ask if they have any concerns that you need to be aware of.
    As far as my parents policy, well in those long ago days when I was a teenager, the topic never came up because I had not interest in dating girls. and if I had said that I wanted to date a boy, they would have turned me over to a psychiatrist who likely would have done electroshock on me to try to make the gay go away. And no, I'm not joking. Until 1973 (coincidentally the year I graduated from HS), being gay was classified as a mental disease, and electroshock was one of the treatments.
    Now, if one of my kids asked, my answer would have been to stay safe, let us know where you are, and be home by bedtime! good luck! (!)

4. lionheart

Out Status:
    Some people
    I lived with my grandmother, and she always said that I was too ugly to love. So she considered it a miracle when a male had an interest in me.

Basically...she didn't care as long as I was straight.

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as it doesn't affect school and like the first poster said, don't get her pregnant.

And no sex. Just... use a condom.

6. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Keep the door open was the only real rule we had. But I've only ever had one girlfriend, so there's not a whole lot for them to make rules about since all we ever did was watch The Lord of the Rings on the couch (meaning I watched and she tried not to fall asleep).

7. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom didn't really have any rules, but then I didn't go on a real date until I was seventeen. Just the usual, be careful and be back before late. Now I'm an adult in college and the only rule is "don't get pregnant." Not really a concern at this point.

8. tulipinacup

The only rule they ever set was me finding a woman lmao

9. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't start dating til I was driving. The only thing I got from parents was "I wanna meet this guy." They hardly ever met my dates. I was a rebelious teen. The guys I dated then were treated me horribly and weren't worth dating. I always picked such loosers! And I didn't date women til I was in my mid twenties. It's awesome that you want to discuss dating with your parents. Sounds like you are mature; I'm sure if you have a discussion with them, they will see how responsible you sound and take you seriously that you are ready for the dating scene and that they can trust you. They might have some rules. Who knows? Every parent is different when it comes to rules and stuff.

10. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't start dating til I was driving. The only thing I got from parents was "I wanna meet this guy." They hardly ever met my dates. I was a rebelious teen. The guys I dated then were treated me horribly and weren't worth dating. I always picked such loosers! And I didn't date women til I was in my mid twenties. It's awesome that you want to discuss dating with your parents. Sounds like you are mature; I'm sure if you have a discussion with them, they will see how responsible you sound and take you seriously that you are ready for the dating scene and that they can trust you. They might have some rules. Who knows? Every parent is different when it comes to rules and stuff.

11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Basically was raised to be asexual for the most part. Definitely no sex before marriage if you did have someone.

13. Lear

• don't get her pregnant
    • tell me when you bring someone over
    • treat her well

That was it.

14. soulcatcher

They told me to get on with it!

15. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Before coming out it was:
    1) No dating till High-School
    2) Have to let parents know if person is coming over, and parents have to be home when they do
    3) Open doors policy when ever a girl would be over
    4) Don't do anything stupid

After coming out:
    1) Remain celibate and have no 'relations' with men, or be disowned

16. AKTodd

The subject never came up. By the time I was in HS, I barely had any interest in speaking to my peers (regardless of gender), let alone dating them. Partly because I'd been an outsider for so long by that point, I really had no interest in them, and partly because I'd grown up with most of of the potential dating pool since I was 8yrs old. It would have been like dating your sister (and in some cases it would have been literally dating a cousin). Very little dating actually went on in my hometown AFAIK.

However, since the default policy on virtually everything else was 'Do whatever you want, but I expect you to be responsible about it.' I imagine it would have been the same re dating.

Todd

17. BelleFromHell

"Don't date until you're 18."

That was the only rule. They didn't want to be responsible if I got preggers (but they didn't really worry about that, lol).

I'm 18 now, so I can sleep with whoever I want. Too bad I don't know anyone worth sleeping with.

18. DelvSeigible

My parents and siblings told me to not date possessive and un-cute girls. Then when I came out it was do not date guys we do not want to talk about it, that or they change the topic. My mom also keep asking me to be a priest. ._.
    My catholic priest told me to try abstinence. Either they protecting me really hard or I am not making my own decision or they want me to be brave to jump hurdles.

Am I forever a lonely girl?
    -E

19. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

My mom actually told me the policy when I came out to her, i guess she changed it! But she said something along the line of- don't sleep around, use protection, I must meet him, you must leave your door open when you have guy "friends" over.ETC. Hah but yes talk to your parents about their policies:slight_smile:

20. SilencedMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My friends think my sisters and I are asexual because we never talk about dating or anything.
    It's because my parents have made it a rule that we can't date until college (they're super strict). No boys in our rooms, no hanging out one-on-one with boys.
    Luckily, this provides a good coverup for my lack of interest in boys :slight_smile: