1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic granddad and gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by poppet, Jan 9, 2015.

1. poppet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi!

So, I have gay uncles who I'm really close to and love to bits. They got engaged last year and are getting married at the end of this year, and I'm so excited. However, my granddad (uncles' father) is homophobic and won't attend the wedding. He has said himself that he doesn't mind his son's fiancé, but doesn't like the idea of them getting married.

I've tried to reason with him telling him that it's a wedding and he should attend it because it's his sons. One of my arguments was "would you attend my wedding?", to which his reply was "not if it was to a girl.".

Now, he doesn't know that I intend to marry a girl one day. I love my granddad so much, and would like him to attend my wedding, but now I'm just mad at him. Seriously can't believe he said that, or that he won't attend his own sons wedding.

It's petty, really, to worry about marriage at this time, but I'm so disappointed in my granddad. Do you think there's anything I can say to him to change his mind? Or any other advice?

((sorry if this seems a little pointless it's just hit a little close to home))

2. White Knight

Not pointless at the least but a bit illogical (your Grandfather's reaction)...

He doesn't have any objection that his son is gay but have problem with his marriage with another guy....?

Does he realize it would be viewed as he is not approving his son's sexuality and look like a hyporcite... to his son, his fiance, your family and everyone attended to that ceremony.

How would he feel if his parents didn't show up in his wedding? Is his son that unimportant to him that he is trying to cast shadows on the day which suppose to be his happiest?

I don't understand his problem with gay marriage and will not try. He should make a choice between a good parent or good whatever the reason he is objecting gay marriage.

As years roll by we feel more closer to the end. When it comes only thing we will left behind is memories... How does he want to be remembered?