1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage: Stay? Go?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by NorthwardBound, Jan 11, 2015.

1. NorthwardBound

Out Status:
    A few people
    I officially suck at being as active on here as I'd like until something big pops into my head but it's a new year so hey hey making an effort to change that. But I do have questions and concerns and I figured I'd ask for opinions considering seeing my therapist is a week away (and who I'm still on the fence about as far as efficacy is concerned when it relates to my gender issues in particular but that's a whole other animal for another time).

I've been married for what's going to be five years now. We've been together for seven years altogether. When we got together I assumed I was cisgendered and, if anything, bisexual. Since then I have come to discover that I am in fact asexual (and more than a little bit sex-repulsed at that), trans, and possibly on the aromantic spectrum as well since I've been really giving my personal relationships with people some in depth thought lately.

My husband and I, according to my mother, are essentially roommates. There are occasional awkward hugs and small, chaste kisses like when I drop him off in the morning. Also awkward. He has been supportive throughout these changes and has expressed no anger or resentment towards any of this. He has even started to help me work out so I can reshape my body to ideally appear more masculine.

Technically from a platonic friend standpoint we get along decently. We enjoy our similar interests, etc. However, I'm worried that this isn't enough to sustain a marriage. Or if I even want a marriage. I was pretty young when we got into all of this and I've come to realize I'm an extremely independent sort of person. When I was younger I went through a lot of bad times and I felt like I really needed someone just to keep me sane and I'm wondering if I don't quite need that anymore. I get my emotional support from my other friends nearly every time I have a problem to discuss.

I'm also concerned that if I do begin transition for real there will be added problems if he has to explain himself to his family, for example. Or if he will stop being quite so supportive the more masculine I sound and appear. He's not 100% straight himself but he didn't marry a man either.

I'm planning to make a major move in the next couple of years but I'm not certain if he is as on board with the idea as I am. So I'm not sure what to do. Part of me keeps telling me the "humane" thing to do would be to let him go rather than drag him down this road where I keep changing and becoming less and less the person he married, even if I'm certain in doing so we would lose our friendship entirely as well. And the rest of me says that he's obviously willing to stay in this but I can't imagine why so if I asked to separate I'd be breaking his heart and making an arbitrary decision.

Basically do I sound like a terribly selfish person or is this a legitimate sort of concern? I'm not even certain how to approach the topic for discussion without scaring him.

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, do you really love this person? Like big love like you don't want to let him go? You should think about his perspective, how he feels. Who knows? Maybe both of you want to let this marriage go. But, you should just talk, serious discussion.