1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Best Friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ballantinex, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Ballantinex

Hi All,

I don't really have a question. I'm just using this space as a way to happily express myself.

I'm a guy, and if anyone knows my history of friends, I have had many close females in my life. I would say that I fit the stereotpyical gay guy image, but the difference was, I have also inhibited my feelings and never came out (not ready yet). This was partly due to the fact that my high school was very homophobic and even though I wasn't out, I was bullied (not extreme or physical, in fact quite subtle, though nonetheless bullying) in this regard, purely based on the people that I hanged out with.

Fast-forward a few years, I'm now at university/college, and have met someone who I can truly call one of my best friends. The funny thing is, I have never had such a close relationship with a guy before. I would always be hesistant and worried that they were going to see right through me. Now we are irreplaceable, taking every subject at university together, and continuously within each other's presence in and out of university.

What's also interesting is that personality-wise we are totally different, though, we have agreed that our values in life are very similar. He is a jock type whilst I am a complete introvert who would rather spend time in the library studying. He has told me that he has learnt to never judge a book by its cover or else he would be missing out on people like me.

I must admit, that my best friend does have some conservative views in life, but we have spoken a few times on the topic of sexuality and he said that he loves gay people and sees them equally. Apart from this, we are able to have the most casual/joking conversations and the most deep and thought-provoking conversations of all topics like family, personal matters, religion, politics, basically anything under the sun.

I'm always there for him, and likewise he cares for me, worring about little things I do, If I come late to hangouts, if I stray away from my normal self etc. We have acknowledged that we are best friends, and I find it cute that he will sometimes get jealous when I spend time with other people and jokingly question if he has now been replaced, if he needs to change in any way or if he needs to find someone new.

All my life I was looking for a male figure who would be willing to see me as the reserved, introverted person who I am. A person who is willing to chat over food and indulge in intellectual conversation. A person who is into retro music and 'nerdy' tv shows. Initially this guy was the totally opposite. He was a guy's guy, only interested in sports and his 'bros'. He has told me, that I have changed him for the better, and have exposed him to new experiences which has now made him more cultured with greater perspectives in life.

I feel really blessed and just feel the need to express myself that I have such a wonderful straight male best friend.

Feel free to tell similar stories too! :slight_smile:

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awwww
    That's really cute, and I'm so happy you've made such a good friend.

Cherish this friendship because it really is a beautiful thing.

3. Notlad

That's actually awesome. I hope I can have a similar experience sometime in the future. It

4. SofatSumita

SofatSumita Guest

i think best friend is that friend who are with every situation. My best friend is from the school friend.

5. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm happy for you, it's always great to have a friend like that, and it's even better that you value this friendship so much!