1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad thinks I'm going to end up with guy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by greenunicorn, Jan 13, 2015.

1. greenunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was talking to my dad and I mentioned that I didn't want to have kids so he decided to say that I would eventually meet a guy and want to have kids with him and the reason I wasn't attracted to guys is that all the guys my age in this town are idiots.
    So basically he thinks this is just a phase and this really upsets me because I took so long being able to accept myself and an even longer time to be able to tell other people. He pretends he's accepting of me but I don't think he is.
    I have no attraction to males at all. Sure I can be friends with them and I even have a couple of guys who are my friends so his comment about all the guys in this town being idiots is untrue.
    He can't seem to get his head around the fact that 1. I like women and 2. I don't want to reproduce.
    Sorry if this comes off as being whiny, I just really frustrated with this. :icon_sad:

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the one hand: yes, you have every right to be annoyed by this. It can be infuriating when people profess to be accepting, and then occasionally let slip that they have no clue about how ignorant they are.

On the other hand: you said it yourself: it took you a lot of time to be able to accept this. And... the moment you came out was one of the final parts of accepting.
    To him, however, this was the beginning. He didn't feel your internal struggle. For him, this was something that suddenly came out of left field.
    It's only natural that it takes him a good while to understand and accept as well.

So: don't get too upset. He may not understand fully, but he probably is trying. In the meantime, the best you can do is to remain calm, and keep acting casual about your sexuality. If he mentiones "turning straight" as an option, casually dismiss it as "It doesn't work that way and I'm quite happy the way I am". Don't get baited into discussions and just state this as a fact.
    It'll take weeks, even months, but it'll sink in eventually!

3. greenunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The thing is he's known for ages, he guessed and asked my mum and she said I was. I've just never really talked to him about it before since it's not really been relevant to anything we've talked about.

4. Lazuri

Don't be so tough on him. In a lot of cases, parents are just trying to look out for you in their own misguided way.

In your case it's likely your dad just wishes for you to be happy, but happiness for him is family so that is what he hopes for you. It's hard to deal with issues like this when your ability to relate is literally 0%. He probably didn't even know he was being hurtful.

Keep in mind that I don't know your family though, I'm just taking shots in the dark to try and give you ideas that might apply.

5. QueerQueen

I've been in a similar situation with my mom. When I first came out to her she seemed to be pretty accepting and understanding and we didn't talk about it for a while after that. Then the second time it was brought up she said something along the lines of "well you aren't a lesbian right?" she thought I liked both which was completely fine to her. She wanted me to end up with a man and have a child so that she could be a grandmother. She started telling me not to post stuff on Facebook that were LGBT related, because she didn't want others to know especially my relatives. She came to me and told me this quite a few time. She also told me things like "I still have hope that you might end up with a man" it frustrated me to no end.

My brother is also gay and right off the bat she was accepting, I even came out to her first and it took her longer to be okay with my sexuality. I guess eventually she saw that my sexuality wasn't going to change, I'm not sure how she ended up dealing with it, but she did and that's the important part. Now she tells me she wants me to find a girlfriend, funnily enough.. she has even tried to introduce me to a girl.

So I know somewhat how your feeling and I think anyone would be upset by this so I don't blame you. Nobody knows for sure and I don't know how long your dad has known about you, but don't lose hope that maybe one day he will be accepting or at least more accepting. It is hard to see how difficult it might be for parents, because your the one who had to go through all that not them, but just try to be patient and keep your cool in situations like this one.