1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RuggerP, Jan 14, 2015.

1. RuggerP

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I met this girl at a rugby tournament, I noticed her, but she didn't notice me. I am on a dating site, but have never really used it. Anyway, she came across me on there (random right?) and we started messaging. This was 4 months ago, and we have talked everyday, all day since.

She lives 7 hours away from me, in America. I live in Canada. We made plans for me to go down there this weekend so we can really meet and hang out. I am very excited to spend the weekend with her! But I'm also very nervous....

She wants me to meet her friends, which I am very excited to do, but again... nervous.
    I think most of my anxiety however comes from social media... she loves posting everything about her life on facebook, and instagram and tumblr. Which I'm okay with.. but she added some of my friends, that she has never met (maybe they met briefly at the tournament; not sure), nor have I told them about her, on facebook.. some of them don't even know I'm a lesbian. So it makes me nervous that I either have to come out to them before friday, or risk her posting all over the internet and them finding out. I really like her, but I am feeling pushed into a corner.

What should I do?

Also, has anyone ever traveled a distance to meet someone before? Any advice?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as meeting friends, and concerns about her posting things on facebook, I think it would be totally appropriate to ask her about these things beforehand, and express what your comfort level is (i.e., how social you want to be just yet, or if you're comfortable with her stating the situation online or not). Do you think she would be respectful/accepting of any limitations you might have for this at this point?

And as far as meeting someone from a distance - in a sense, all the usual rules apply. Make sure you play safe, make sure someone knows where you are, your plans, and when you'll be back. You may also want to make extra sure your car/transportation is in good shape and will be reliable for the trip. Aside from the usuals though, I think an extra thing to keep in mind is to not let the distance and effort required for the visit pressure either of you into doing anything you wouldn't do if you were nearby. So, just as an example, neither of you owes the other one sex just because one of you drove 7 hours to get there. True, the general (not necessarily sexual) interest you have in her is probably fairly strong if you're willing to make that trip, but that doesn't mean you can't also respect your own feelings and boundaries.

All in all, though, I hope you enjoy the trip. :slight_smile: