1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he too old for me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by anniebunnie, Jan 16, 2015.

1. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

I'm dating a guy and he's 18 I'm 16. Like the question says is that too much of a age difference? Most of my friends are happy for me because he's a really nice guy but there's this one friend who keeps saying it's wrong and it's bothering me a little bit so I wanted to know what you guys think from an objective stand point. I will ofc not be having sex with him or anything so that's not a problem..

2. bookaholic20

bookaholic20 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't see a problem with it.If both of you is happy,don't give a shit about what they think

3. Notlad

So you feel comfortable with it? That's what matters.

I personally don't think that's too terrible of an age distance.

4. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Im a mom and I have a 19 yr gay son. All I know is that he would not get involved with someone under 18 he just wouldnt feel right about it. However when I was 16 I wouldnt have had a prob dating someone 18. Now that Im a parent I see things differently lol. I understand that everyone matures at different rates but even though, as a parent if my son was 16 and an 18 yr old wanted to be in a relationship with him no matter if he was gay or straight, I would really wonder why the 18 yr old would be intrested in a 16 yr old. All I know is that I wouldnt want my 18 yr old son being in a relationship with a 16 yr old, no way. But then again Im very protective ha. I would worry that maybe the 16 yr old's parents would have a problem with it and by law its an adult being invoved with a minor. I dont know, as a parent I personally dont feel comfortable with that. I wouldnt want to take any chances of my kid being charged with something. If both of your parents are just fine with it then I guess its ok.

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    1) Take your age
    2) Half it
    3) Add seven years
    That's the youngest age you should be dating :slight_smile:

So, for him...
    1) 18
    2) 9
    3) 16

Which means you should be fine. A lot of people tend to worry about it because 18 and 16 are both ages where laws come into play, but as long as you trust eachother and you are safe around him, there shouldn't be a problem. :slight_smile:

6. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I don't think he's too old for you. There is a difference in those two years, but as time passes the difference will get smaller and smaller. Legally (depending on where you live) it can be a bit of a tightrope walk, but that's pretty much in regards to sex, which you said isn't an issue.
    As long as you are in a healthy relationship and treat each other with care and respect, I don't see a problem.

7. Vampire

That's bollocks, in my opinion and many other's opinion and here's the explanation:

Age difference is only a number at the end of the day. It all depends on the people we're talking about. Between a 16 y/o and an 18 y/o might be more difference than between a 16 y/o and a 20 y/o simply because some people are more mature than others, some mature earlier than others.

What matters is how you two feel in each other's presence. If you feel comfortable and happy, then don't give a f*ck about what others might have to say. If you feel like the gap between you is too big, then end it, or not. You know what's best for you when it comes to details like this.

8. SkyDiver

Lol if that's bad, then my situation is horrible...

Me -> 19, Him -> 26.

There's nothing wrong with a 2 year difference.

9. borgishmorg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that is a reasonable age gap, as long as you're comfortable.

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh no not at all, 2 year age gap is a very reasonable age gap. I think anymore than 10+ years is something that should be looked into.

If you feel comfortable around him then that's all that matters, right?