1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck with a closed minded family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheArtist2646, Jan 18, 2015.

1. TheArtist2646

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I'm slowly starting to realize that I might be Lesbian, and I totally accept that. I actually feel happy knowing it, and I think I'll be happy when I finally grow into it, and find my own path, but it's my family that I worry about.
    They raised me under the assumption that if the same gender lie together, they'll be teased, mocked, bullied, and eventually, killed and will burn in hell. So when I even think about bringing up this thought to my family, I have to be prepared for a HUGE debate that I'm not ready to sit through, especially when the conversation will be about me. My whole family will tear me apart, and I want them to know that this is who I am, and this is who I will be happy being (if that makes sense). But when I hypothetically brought this up to my mother, I already got an earful, and she told me that if I became a lesbian, she would send me to church camp, or rehab until I was cleansed of my sins.
    I really need some help with how to bring this up to my family, my friends I don't think will have a problem, but I'm really hurting for advice on how to handle my family, please help me.

2. Lazuri

Safety over pride. If you've got good reason to believe you will suffer from coming out, it's usually worth waiting until you can stand on your own two legs.

Sometimes family even this close minded can come around but if you plan to try your chances and tell them you need to have an escape plan. Always have a way out.

You're in the LBGT community now and the most valuable things for many of us are patience and endurance.