1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Dumped 3 months ago, still crushed and need help

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ballin1718, Jan 18, 2015.

1. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey everyone. I've posted before about my ex but I'll give a quick overview. A year ago I fell in love with my college roommate/frat brother / best friend. It was unexpected and then we were in love for a year until a few months ago he said he doesn't want this anymore, that he's straight and wants girls. Nobody cheated it was love filled mostly and he basically crushed my heart. I graduated and he's a senior and lives in our frat house and I still like to visit sometimes but it's difficult.

I will admit throughout this I havent really given him space. I haven't seen him once in three months (even if I visit my school he doesn't go where I go) but i always txt him and originally begged for him back being sad but then I just wanted to be friends.

He's very stubborn as a person and originally agreed to be friendly but never follows through he'll be nice sometimes than say horrible things another day. And it upsets me that he doesn't want to try and be friends because we were best friends shared a group of friends and like they were my main friends. Now bc of the situation I'm isolated by them (not intentionally but they all live with him).

He's honestly crushed me it was my first love, his too, and now it's just gone. He's mostly hostile about being friends and I don't know why he admits he knows I wouldn't do anything dumb (our relationship was part secret but a lot of people knew). He was my best friend and I just don't know how to move on. I just want to wake up happy one day because in 3 months I haven't been. He knows how destroyed I am too and how badly I just want to be friends but he won't give me that, we're two guys and he wants girls so we should be able to put this to rest and have our group of friends again.

Because of my depression I actually came out to my parents finally at 23. They were accepting and realized my pain from this situation.

I just don't know what to do. Should I block him on all social media? I don't want to because that's not a road to friendship. I told him if I bother him so much he should block me but hasn't.

Even with all the bad I still loved him. It was a dream relationship and I didn't want it to die.i think a part of me will always love him but Id be willing to subdue those feelings for friendship because we were friends before I even looked at him that way.

I deleted his number out of my phone I'm going the no contact route as much as I can now but I'm starting to think blocking him on social media is my only option to get passed this. He also thinks I'm crazy because im upset. Of course I am gonna be upset, I didn't date my friend for a year to go back to "being straight" that's not an option for me. I always thought any issues wed always work out together.

Idk if I even really asked for advice but when will it get better? If it was just some boy Id be fine im a strong person, but the fact that it involves so many friendships lost over this that kills me, including the friendship we once had.

I've given up on the thought that maybe he'll hook up with a few girls then come back but should I try and be friends still and leave him alone for now? Or is blocking him out of my life the best option to help me get through this?

Thanks for any advice sorry this is long

2. Rainbows~Exist

You probably don't want to hear this but... the truth hurts sometimes: you NEED to MOVE ON. Trying to force a friendship that is falling apart will only end up hurting you in the long run so I'm sorry but you may have to leave him behind. However, you've previously had a relationship with him yet he broke it off saying that 'he's straight'. This is just a theory but it may be possible that he is struggling with his own sexuality as he constantly insists he's straight and only interested in girls. Having you constantly, for want of a better word, 'pestering' him about wanting your friendship/relationship isn't going to help. My advice would be give him some time. Cut loose all contact from him for a while. If he wants this friendship to be salvaged then he'll try and contact you, if not then he won't bother which in this case you'll just have to accept that this friendship won't work and you'll have to part ways. I hope this helped!

P.S. I wrote a better answer before but my Internets' playing up and it didn't post so this is the kind of shorter and more blunt answer sorry :lol:

3. Lazuri

I agree. If he changes his mind, he'll be back and you should tell him that. Tell him you'll be there if he ever changes his mind and then break off. If he has some stuff to figure out he might be back later. If not, life goes on.

This is also why you should be careful about dating friends or people that you generally have to be around a lot even if you weren't a couple. The potential "fallout" after a failed relationship is much greater.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that you need to focus on moving on, no matter how hard it may seem. You have been grieving the loss of love for three months now and that's not a good place to be for so long. Grieving is a process to go through, not a place to find yourself rooted in for months on end, so try to take a step forward each day from now on. It doesn't have to be anything major, just something to take you out of the darkness of this rut. Remember, moving on is about you, it's about rescuing a relationship with yourself.

Another hard thing you must do, is to give yourself space and stop texting or checking his profiles. You don't have to block him if he is not pestering you, but you do need to be strong enough to give yourself space to heal from the hurt.. however long it takes. Until then, you should not even entertain the idea of friendship.

I'm sure this all sounds very hard and upsetting, but while you continue to absorb yourself in thoughts about what you lost, you will struggle to gain any semblance of normality in your life and the hurt will continue. I'm sure that's not what you want.

If you get back to a place of strength you can begin the process of learning to love again - that's got to be the ultimate goal.

5. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks so much for all the help everyone! I haven't spoken to him in almost a week whatsoever and I plan on keeping it that way. It's sad that I have to let go of such an important person but a little bit more everyday I've been trying to embrace it.

I already said I don't think I'll ever be able to fully stop loving him but I know I need to move on. It just sucks bc I question when / how im going to meet someone who makes me feel the same way I did through 90% of this relationship.

Thanks again hopefully in another three months I will be a better and healed person