1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone who is confused

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by staceyy, Jan 18, 2015.

1. staceyy

If you are attracted to someone, who is also attracted to you but is new to LGBT and confused about her/his sexual orientation, how would you proceed?

Would you hang out with them, get to know each other better and then see how it develops? Or would you rather let it go and not start anything at all, in case it doesn't work out and it gets awkward between both of you?

(This is a follow-up question on my previous post.)

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I told myself that I'd never date a female who is bi-curious, only because I would hate for her to realize in the end that she doesn't like women. However, I used to be bi-curious as well and luckily my first real relationship was with my best friend.

I guess I would be a bit hesitant to invest my time and put forth effort into something/someone who is unsure of their feelings, but there's always a risk no matter. If things get awkward then I guess we could try to be friends.

3. FoxSong

The most important thing here is to establish if there's an intense connection, isn't it? Do you want to be with this person? Does she want to be with you? Getting to know each other better will answer those questions.

4. RainbowBright

I personally would not date someone who does not know who they are and who they are attracted to. It is too much drama, and a very high chance of me facing rejection and heartache as this person waffles back and forth from being into me, to feeling guilty and perhaps rejecting me out of not wanting to accept what it means for their identity or their other relationships, back to wanting me, back to struggling... it takes years usually for a person to come to full terms with where they are. But, I'm an adult in my 30s and I would probably have a different answer at 16 or 17.

Some people have found such relationships to be fulfilling and rewarding. But I find being in a relationship hard enough, without the person even knowing if they are attracted to me or knowing if they are ashamed of being with me or happy to be with me. And that is the good version, there is perhaps a 50% chance the person will decide they are not into women at all after all, or at least not enough to seriously date one, so then all the drama was for nothing. I don't have time in my life right now to be with someone in such a totally different place from me in terms of identity. Most relationships don't have to deal with such a basic thing as wondering if the person even wants to be with you, and they still have problems to overcome.

I would however be more than happy to be that person's friend and help them make it through the process in one piece if at all possible.

But you seem open to it, so maybe you should give it a try. No one's answer here can substitute for your answer - this is a very individual thing.