1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Night

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by 12link, Jan 18, 2015.

1. 12link

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've just had a really awful night and im gonna vent here.... But anyways I went to dinner with my family tonight and my aunt was trying to argue with my close minded grandparents that people are born gay, and it turned into this big argument. Well she asked for someone to back her up and because everyone else in my family is a bit of a conservative, catholic, close-minded, asshole, I decided to throw in what I thought about it and showed support for my aunts argument. Even though having your own opinion in my family is greatly frowned upon, I'm a closeted gay kid so I thought maybe showing that I care about this and seeing their reaction might be a good idea. Well I got a good lecture about how "I'm being brainwashed" and that "people that are gay do it for attention" and that "I'm going against the church" which is literally the worst thing that can possibly happen in the eyes of my family.... And then on the car ride home I got a yelling at from my parents about how I am "disrespectful" and need to learn to "shut the f*** up"...... It was just really frustrating. Then to add on to that after that I had a practice with my choir friends and I was acting like an asshole the whole time because I was so just sad and pissed off from what happened before and I also feel shitty about that..... It's just I don't really have anyone to say this to in real life's and I just feel really lonely and I feel like I'm just that person in the group people have to "put up with" and I was already scared about coming out and feeling this way before abut tonight just made it ten times worse. I'm sorry I'm really not a very dramatic person and I hate seeming like I'm looking for attention, but I just don't know what to do at this point I feel awful.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you had such an awful experience at the family dinner. To hear so many narrow-minded comments must have been very hard for you. You're definitely not seeking attention by bringing it all here to vent - this forum is a place for you to share your experiences and receive support. I'm afraid I only just spotted your thread!

It may only be a crumb of comfort, but at least you know your Aunt is on side and willing to defend gay rights. The very fact that she was willing to speak her mind in the midst of all of those conservative opinions is pretty damn good, don't you think? She could prove to be a special ally. Are you close to her?

The Catholic Church has long held conservative views on LGBT issues, but there are some glimmers of light since Pope Francis was elected. He has made some encouraging comments and he is trying (it seems) to build alliances and change opinions. Many Catholics are loyal to the Pope, so if he can get the reforms through, opinions may change. Keep your fingers crossed and keep talking to us. (*hug*)

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry that you had such a rough night. Needless to say, your parents are wrong (and I don't often use that word when it comes to people's opinions), as you know gay people don't just "do it for attention". That's ridiculous. Also, in my opinion, being told to "shut the f*** up" is pretty disrespectful in it's own right!

The only positive aspect, as Patrick pointed out, is that your Aunt at least has the right idea that gay people can't help their sexuality.

Try not to take it out on your Choir mates, though under the circumstances I understand why you were in a foul mood. (*hug*) Everyone here understands what you're going through, so you're more than welcome to vent!