1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing Space

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sitkovet, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Sitkovet

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am often traveling in the field with a research team. The core team is comprised of a consistent group of individuals but we are often joined by collaborators. When in the field, everyone is everyone's space (i.e. 8-12 people in two bedroom cabins in the middle of nowhere). There is no privacy. Under upcoming conditions, myself and a collaborator (who is considerably older than myself) will be expected to share sleeping space (the same piece of plywood that passes for a bed as well as any sleep time spent in vehicles). This is not sexual in any way but a friend of mine told me it was wrong not to inform this woman that I am attracted to women. Others in my group know and it's not an issue but I would not want my collaborator to find out later and be upset that I didn't say anything. What do I do?

2. Erzulie

To be honest, it's really none of her business. As long as you're not going to 'make a move' on her, I don't think you have to say anything you are not comfortable saying. If she asks, you can tell her. As you said, she is considerably oder than you so I don't think she's going to get upset that you didn't tell her (this is all assuming that she is accepting towards people who are gay) there is no pressure to forwardly tell her. It might make her more uncomfortable for you to come out tell her rather than it come up naturally in conversation. That being said, I don't know this person, so you should trust your own judgement and do what you feel is right.

#2 Erzulie, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015