1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is ok for a teacher to date a graduated student?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chromedome, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They guy is 18 the teacher is in his mid twenties, i saw them in the mall together. We live in a country where being gay/bi is illegal, I don't find anything wrong with it but is it wrong professionally for him?

2. iiimee

Because he's a teacher? Not wrong at all. If there was a huge age gap I'd of course naturally be a little cautious, but that's just my personal bias... though typically I don't make a big deal out of age gaps, because I typically date people 2 years younger or older then me.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing wrong with it, as long as both of them are ok with it and it isn't just a power-based relationship.

4. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I would think it's a little concerning, since he could use his position of power against his student, but as long as he doesn't do that then no harm no fowl! Also, you said that being gay is illegal in your country but you also said you're from north america....Where exactly do you live?

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Crazycat has it right. There's an inherent power dynamic between a teacher and student. Of course the actual dynamic goes away when the student graduates, but the perception of that dynamic is still there (on the student's part) for some time. The same applies in many other professions, which is why, for example, psychotherapists are forbidden from dating clients for at least a year after therapy is terminated.

An ethical teacher would, at least in my opinion, follow the same rules.

6. Tardis2020

It says Northern Americas. Homosexuality is illegal in Guyana and a bunch of islands by Cuba.

7. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live above south america, that includes central america and the caribbean

8. m e l v i n

i think it's more of "other people will think they're doing something wrong" rather than "they're actually doing something wrong", because it's undeniably usual that the first impression of those who see them is that it's inappropriate.. but the others are right, as long as nobody's taking advantage over the other and it's real love, then it's fine :slight_smile: i actually have a professor who married a former student, but the gap is shorter, like 7 years or so, and they're a straight couple and the student already graduated before they dated

the legality of having a homosexual relationship in their place is another case though

9. ANewDawn

I would be weirded out because it's unlikely that they only started their relationship after graduation.

10. Notlad

No. They are both consenting adults. If they want to be together I'd say more power to them.

11. Yosia

Have you not realised the fact that pretty much everyone is a graduated student? :lol:

12. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's the thing, it means he may have been in a relationship with this boy before he was a consenting adult.

13. Clay

Yeah it's fine. One teacher I had now has 2 kids with an ex student of his, but they both got together in their early 20's.

14. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seems fine to me.

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in high school, a girl who was two grades above me dated her history teacher. She was 15 when they started dating, he was in his early thirties. They're still together now (it's been about 8 years). Although I would still say such an age gap is never healthy, I have somewhat changed my opinion on student/teacher relationships. They can be unhealthy due to power dynamics, yes... but they definitely don't always have to be. That girl and her teacher seemed to have a great relationship (everyone knew), and to this day they've made it work and still seem happy.

So no, I don't think all student/teacher relationships are bad.

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True. :lol:

17. soulcatcher

It's absolu-effing-tely fine.

18. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been a teacher for the past several years, well, more like an assistant teacher, I help my supervisor with the exercises and stuff. The first thing they tell you is that teacher-student relationships aren't forbidden, but they are strongly discouraged. In some cases, the teacher might even get disciplinary measures against him, if other colleagues or the faculty members find out.

I understand why sometimes it's so difficult to respect these guidelines. Many of my students are in their early twenties and look damn' fine. I'd definitely hit on them if we were in a bar or somewhere else. Okay, now that turned into something else... :slight_smile:

#18 pinkpanther, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  19. Sek

Sek

I almost dated a teacher but we called it off before it started because it's a grey area.. I'm still a student and we didn't want to break any rules. Obviously I can't tell how the relationship would've worked out, but I would've been open to seeing him so I think it's okay for a teacher to date a student as long as it's safe for both people and based on mutual consent.