1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help in deciphering...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by emc2, Jan 24, 2015.

1. emc2

Long story short... My crush on a coworker started when she began to surreptitiously touch my arm with her arm. After several times, I thought I should return some gestures but I clumsily done them rather roughly. Thereafter, she stopped touching surreptitiously. However, she still occasionally smiled sweetly.

Then one day, she invited me to go overseas with her for holiday (4D3N). Sure, I agreed. But travel date was about 5 months away.

During this time, I stopped interacting with her. She smiled so sweetly that I was afraid I might lose self control. And also because she stopped coming to my desk. She would occasionally be a jerk to me. Maybe it's her true character to be a jerk to those who are close to her...

Then came the travel date. She was so nice during the first 2 days. Then, from the 3rd day onwards, she was cold towards me. However, since we bought similar items to bring home, we had them packed in a box. And checked the box in as a checked-in package. She said she'll bring mine to the office on the first day of our working day from holiday. However, she handed them over to me in a foul mood attitude.

Not only I had to endure her "attitude" that handing-over day but also the day when we boarded the plane for the returning flight. Since she booked the tickets, she knew our seat numbers. She only told me about our departure flight seat numbers (different rows) but not the returning flight. So, I didn't know she would be sitting beside me on our returning flight. When we reached my seat only then I found out that she would be sitting beside me. But I was a bit hesitant in which above compartment I was to put my carry-on since there were not much room left. She became irritated and moved some of the bags already there in a rather angry state. So, I quickly put mine in one and took my seat. Talk about enduring other's mood and attitude.

After seeing her "best" attitude, I decided to stay away from her. I felt hurt. I don't want to be hurt again. Even now, when I think about it, I feel so hurt and sad.

Now, after some weeks of me avoiding her, she would occasionally try to talk to me nicely in the open area like near the photocopy machine. The other day, she asked me and some other coworkers if we would like to join in on a discounted coupon lunch. Sure, we all joined in and enjoyed our lunch.

I don't understand why now she tries to be friendly with me after being cold to me. Every time I stabilised my emotions, she would try to make small talk with me. Then, my emotions go whack again. I become sad and kinda depressed. After some days, my emotions stabilised and go whack again when she again make some talk with me. Just she talking to me makes my emotions go all over the place. Again, I try to avoid running into her.

Please try to decipher her actions and explain them to me. She's confusing me. First nice, then horrible, then nice again. What does she want?

I don't even know if I still like her. Every time I think of her "you-know" treatments towards me, I feel hurt and sad and depressed.

The other day, I thought of telling her that I like her. But when I think of her treatments, they make me think that she doesn't like me. And I'm beginning to feel that I don't like her anymore.

I don't know myself anymore. Do I still like her? What are her intentions? Why nice now?

#1 emc2, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well my opinion:
    she might have been flirting with you.
    Touches are a sign...
    for more signs you could look here:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/155560-friendly-flirty.html#3

You din't exactly reciprocate but you were nice...
    so she might have held up hopes and invited you on a trip...

on that trip she might have made a move on you,
    which you might have not registered, or didn't play along...

which might have not brightened up her mood... she possibly has looked forward to something else...

after being back, she continues to be around you and she seems to like you...
    so shes more friendly...

I would interpret it as flirting, if you have another impression of why she invited you on the trip, because of something she said for example, just say so....

You could think about what you would really like.
    Unfortunately women sometimes are not used to be flirty, or outgoing...
    I'd say don't be shy, be yourself, and be a bit more daring and active...
    especially if two women are involved, often both are glad if one of them makes a move...

You have a few options:
    you could go slow, get used to the thought and be more nice and flirty...

you could, as you know each other already, tell her you want to talk... maybe for a coffee...
    and tell her you like her, and you could take it slow, getting to know each other better, doing a few things together... and take it from there.
    This way you could see if she is really moody or if it was too high expectations...
    its important to talk... I'd say communicate, talk with her, and if your feelings are hurt, you could tell her... without making reproaches, just stating... its ok to state emotions and needs...

(*hug*)

3. emc2

Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated it.

There was something else that happened during the overseas trip which I cannot understand. It was on the first day. We were walking on the pedestrian sidewalk. I was walking slightly behind her. Suddenly I grabbed her arm from behind to move her sideways so that she wouldn't step on something on the sidewalk. However, instead of budging (i.e. not moving to a side), she became quite stiff (froze) and unyielding. Only after I pointed out the object on the sidewalk, did she move sideways. And thereafter she continued on as if nothing happened.

I'm confused as to why she froze when I grabbed her arm from behind and only yielded when the object was pointed out to her.

Please explain to me why she stiffen up.

4. indiqo

I am so bad at interpreting body language. but the thing I thought about her becoming frozen, is she either likes you and you touching her made her feel afraid or she doesn't like you and it made her feel uncomfortable. also consider that she may just dislike human contact in some/all ways.

5. emc2

Hi! Thank you so much for your thoughts.

She's acting weird now. So confusing...
    Last Saturday, I was feeling mischievous and so I sent her a message asking her if she'll come pick me up to go shopping. She replied immediately that she's not free in her normal way of replying. Then, on Monday, when we met at the office, she tried to act as if nothing happened but from her mannerism I seem to sense as if she's uncomfortable with what had transpired that Saturday. Later on, she looked lethargic and was telling others that she's sleepy. Then, on Tuesday, she avoided talking to me but talked normally with others.

I really cannot understand why she acted the way she did. Has she had a change of heart? Or is she trying to tell me to stop interacting with her? Or did I push a wrong button or something? Why is she acting like this? She's confusing me.

Please explain why she acted the way she did.

6. emc2

FYI, now at my place, it's early morning Wednesday.

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2015 at 05:33 AM ----------

Please help me by explaining to me as best as you can, why now she has stopped talking to me. Is she afraid? But I don't understand why be afraid.

Should I talk to her and ask her for an explanation? But in our culture, it's not polite to ask directly. I'm at odds.

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok... I can only give my point of view and what I would do..

There could be many reasons. Maybe she was lead by the arm by a parent and disliked it... maybe she was holding back because she likes you, and did not want to show...
    Does she share a computer with someone ? Or can a superior read her mails ?
    Well she avoids to say no... so she might like to, but is conflicted...
    Ok. She does not say directly no. Maybe she is shy. In that case, you could take it a bit slow...
    Or she is conflicted in some way. Maybe she would like to go further but not when other people notice.

To me this sounds like an inner conflict... she woud like to do something but does not...
    or she really just tries to be friendly, not more... imo the email would hint to the conflict...

You could try to speak to her alone... slow approach, friendly and not being overwhelming... for example when shes visiting the toilet...

#7 jay777, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  8. emc2

Hi jay777! Thank you very much for your point of view and how you would handle the situations. To me, they are most helpful in understanding what's going on. Especially, what to do. Much much appreciate them.

Actually, the message was sent via WhatsApp. And she replied using WhatsApp, too. Would the situation be different if the message was sent via WhatsApp instead of email?
    Another colleague of ours informed me that she was actually busy at that moment. So, she wasn't lying.

Would asking her out, say, for lunch, considered slow approach, friendly and not overwhelming?
    (Since our office toilet is not outside but is within our office and next to the photocopier and near other colleagues' tables, conversations would be within earshot.)

Usually, she will wait for a parking lot before coming to office and sometimes it takes up to half an hour before she gets one. Do you think it'll be all right if I speak to her in her car during this period?
    Or asking her out is better? Or maybe some other situation?

Should I ask her what she thinks of LGBT or just assume she's one since her sister is a tomboy (trans). And she has surreptitiously touched my arm and gazed into my eyes rather intently last year, before we stopped speaking to each other last year. FYI, she started speaking to me last month ie end of January 2015. And now she has stopped speaking to me. I just wish she would make up her mind. Why did she stopped talking to me again? Is it due to her inner conflict?

I don't understand how the message I sent via WhatsApp on 7th February (Saturday) caused her confusing behaviour towards me. Do you think I have stirred up some emotions? Any opinions? Please, I need all the help I can get.

Should I wait till she speaks to me again before I proceed to talk to her about all these?
    FYI, last Saturday (14th February), when I asked her if she knows how to burn cd using windows 7, she answered me rather coldly that she doesn't. The cd burning was work-related.

Please help me. All your points of view mean a lot to me.

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good, that means she was just busy at that moment.
    I thought the message was via email, which someone else might have access to.
    Yes. You could talk a bit then and get to know each other a bit better.
    Speaking to her in her car might be ok for a short time... like asking her out... but it might be awkward for longer...

Asking her out might be better... you could have something to eat, for example, and chat meanwhile...
    Ok, so she seems to be aquainted with lgbt subjects.
    It seems she is conflicted. Like on your journey, but not as much.
    Thus maybe a slow approach might be better. So you could go out, and talk a bit.
    Well its possible you stirred emotions. Its just a bit difficult to say what the conflict is...
    you might just ask her out, and see where it takes you...
    No, I would initiate contact. Remaining friendly, and asking her out.
    Well, its possible she had a lot of work that day... or she still is conflicted...
    it is possibl she keeps that behaviour, until you know her a bit better and can talk to her about it...
    you could remain friendly, unless she is rude... then you could tell her that that's not nice...

well but if she remains unfriendly you could try a few times and then let it be...

wish you luck

(*hug*)

10. emc2

Hi Jay777,
    Sorry I took such a long time to reply.
    It's because only just these few weeks I worked up my courage to try to ask her out.
    It was like this:
    First I wrote a small note, actually it's part of a song, telling her that I acted cool to hide my true feelings. That I'm afraid that I may not be able to make good any affections I have for her. So, I don't dare to be close to her.
    I placed this small note, addressed to her, on her table before she arrived in the morning for work.
    Then, after she left for home, I took a look at her table and saw that she had opened the note and left it on her table at the place where she puts her mobile phone. And the piece of paper, folded back except for the last fold, could be seen by anyone.
    Therefore, I took the paper. Later, I sent her a message via WhatsApp asking if she's free the coming weekend for lunch. She replied very quickly with one single word "No".
    (Before this, I had sent a message asking her out for lunch Saturday but she replied she's not free in her normal way.)
    I was devastated with her reply. Because that's her way of saying no more contact especially outside of work.

After I had cooled down, I decided to sent her a message telling her that I had only wanted to talk with her in private and to show my cards and hopefully she will too. And that the least I wanted was to be a colleague. And asking her to forgive me if I had hurt her in any way and I apologise for all the hurt I caused her. I told her that because I like her, I couldn't bear the pain of looking and liking her from a distance so I distanced myself. And that I couldn't look at her directly and be close to her because of the pain of never ever to be able to have her. And that I have now accepted the fact that it was not meant to be in the first place and that I shall not pursue any further other than just be colleagues. I added a PS telling her that on the final night of our overseas trip I had wanted to tell her that I like her but didn't manage to tell her because I was afraid of losing her. I mentioned that when I think about that, I don't even have her in the first place. Then, I told her that I don't know how she would have reacted and that probably with disgust.
    Then, on the next day, she didn't act any different, that is she's still cold towards me and didn't even want to look at me.

After a couple of days later, as I was talking to another colleague, she entered the office and taken by surprise I kinda stopped in mid sentence and tried continuing our conversation but rather awkwardly. I guess she thought we were talking about her maybe.
    However, the next day, she took off her ankle bracelet with a small bell. And hence, I'm unable to hear when she moves around in the office. Because whenever I hear her ankle bell, I would try to stop any conversations and move away or I'll avoid colliding with her in the office.
    She still treats me as if I'm invisible.

My question is why she took it off? Is it because so that she'll know what I'm talking to other people? Or so that I would act more natural? Or she wants me to act more natural and that she wants to approach me again? Or maybe now that I have z her what's on my mind, she's thinking of becoming a colleague?
    Any insights are very much appreciated.

Another matter is that she now offers her help to colleagues whom I'm quite close to, without them asking for her help. And may I add 'very helpful'. Previously she didn't offer her help automatically, and when some of my other colleagues asked for her help, she'll help if she feels like it. She started being very helpful after she didn't want to help me for the first time (previously whenever I ask for her help she'll help me). So, since then, I haven't ask for her help.
    What's her point? Trying to tell me that she rather help others but me?

#10 emc2, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well sorry to hear she did not respond as hoped (*hug*)

I'd try to be as natural as possible, if she is around or not.

Maybe a bit guarded, its difficult to tell.. you wrote she got angry sometimes...
    so its difficult to tell if a bit more friendly or more guarded would be better...
    maybe just being natural and a bit friendly could be a way...

Concerning her being helpful to others, you might just stay your ground... being helpful to the people you have been...

Imo you did nothing wrong and there is no need for you to feel that way...

Bottom line I'd watch out and stay my ground...
    maybe she is vying for attention from others, trying to isolate you a bit... so I'd watch out a bit...

continuing trying to be natural and concerning her not making her angry but not being too friendly either... maybe a bit friendly so she could relax yet a bit guarded so as not to appear weak...

I personally would look somewhere else...

Do you have the opportunity to go to some lgbt places and meet someone nice there ? People looking for a partnership, too ?

many hugs