1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social media and age

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gogreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm particularly interested in the perspectives of people of a certain age for this one. :slight_smile:

My crush was way more interested in me today but I wont see her again in the foreseeable future. At all! I was thinking of sending her a friend request on social media. But i looked at her page and we only have 1 mutual friend so apparently none of my other dog show friends are friending her. It might seem weird.

So my question is - when do you friend someone? How well would you have to know them? I have 1 or 2 people on my friend list who don't even bother to speak to me when I see them in public, but I guess that's common with younger folks? I don't get that, why did they friend me in the first place?

Please mention your age along with your criteria! I'm curious!

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An interesting question. I think it depends how well I feel I got along with the person. If I feel we had a lot in common, and they wouldn't mind talking more, I send them a friends request. If you're unsure, why not send them a message asking them how they are and if they mind you sending them a friends request? :slight_smile: I don't think many people would object to that! Clearly one of your friends added her, and she was okay with that.

Usually my only criteria for adding someone is that I've met them in real life and we got along well, or they're a very close friend of one of my friends. :slight_smile: I'm mid-twenties. For something less personal, like Twitter, I really don't care who I follow/follows me. :slight_smile:

3. Sek

Sek

When (or if!) I friend them depends on how much I liked them. Some people that I've met I've stopped the conversation to make sure we're connected then and there, whereas with others I've either taken a while to add or not added them at all. However, I'm pickier with who I add than who I accept.

I don't think there's a 'rule'.. I actually think people are generally very open with adding friends on facebook, at least I've noticed that with the young people I've known. In fact, friending on social media tends to come before something like exchanging numbers, almost as an intermediate step (at least in my experience). This might be due to the fact that some like to have excessively large 'friend' figures to seem sociable, or because they can remove you again if they want unlike sharing numbers when they can persist texting/calling you, or because like me they're indifferent, don't care and want to be polite. There's many reasons, but I think the common denominator amongst all this is that people are generally open to accepting friend requests on facebook since it's pretty harmless.

To answer your other question, I'm 18 years old.

4. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I decided I was overthinking it. I've accepted others' friend requests in similar situations and not thought it weird at all. Besides, since I may not see her again in person for a long time - what's the worst that can happen?

Still curious about the original question anyway, though.