1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of an era

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Doctorlysomethn, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Doctorlysomethn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well... I'm sad to say that I've recently split up with my boyfriend of 4 months and just would like some advice on how to not get trapped in another pit of depression :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    One was enough
    I'm sad to say that I thought he was the one, but he sadly wasn't... I'll miss him so much but I guess that this is for the best... :'(

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Take care of yourself : Your studies, your friends, your hobbies...
    Spend some time doing the stuff you love, whatever it is. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only trying to help, but at your age it feels overwhelming, specially since your expectations were so high (you called him "the one").
    There will be more people in your life. To avoid pain, I suggest you forget about "the ones" and give everyone you find just his or her real name. There is much more in life than relationships : There is work, family, friends, music, rivers, threes, birds, rollercoasters, newspapers, muffins...

3. Sek

Sek

It's important that you keep perspective, remember that while you might have been happy in a relationship, it wasn't the relationship that made you happy; it was your ability to allow positive thoughts to steer your mind.

Think about it like this: if being with him was the only thing that made you happy, you would be unhappy every single second you weren't with him. And you weren't unhappy every single second you weren't with him. It's just that in times you find yourself unhappy that you aren't together, you are allowing the negative thoughts to control your emotions.

Give yourself time and allow your wounds to heal. Your mind is going to need some time to adjust to not having him in your life. Did you know that the area of your brain that deals with love also deals with routine? This can explain why we feel like we're lost or something's not right.

To stay happy, focus on things that directly affect your happiness and wellbeing. Treat yourself, surround yourself with people who will support and motivate you, be productive and achieve something you can be proud of, eat healthy foods, exercise. Don't let the breakup hold you back.

Lastly, and this is something I strongly believe in, you mustn't get angry at yourself when you feel sad or down.. Often, the feeling lingers longer because you devote even more energy into these feelings. What I find helps these feelings to go away is to admit "I'm sad right now, but that's okay because in time I'll let go of it and feel better". Also, try not to measure how long it's been since the breakup or how close you are to getting over him. Let it happen naturally, your brain will need its own specific amount of time to deal with it; don't rush things.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what others have said, but I'll give some more personal advice, as I know a bit what happened.

Matt, you had an amazing time with him and I understand why you thought that he would be the one for you. Sadly, the feelings were not mutual and you have to cope with it. You obviously want him back, but the person you want back is not the person he turned out to be for you. It's no use trying to get something you won't ever get, it's a (complete) waste of energy.

Start focussing on school, other things and hobbies. Since there's basically no contact between you two anymore, you'll have quite some free time, you should fill that up with things you like. =] And if you ever need someone to talk to, you know you can talk to me (and Willy too) about it.

5. Doctorlysomethn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you everyone for your words of advice :slight_smile: It really means a lot to have you all here for me when I'm like this so thank you all so much :slight_smile:
    Yorn I will take you up on that offer when I need it but at the moment... I'm actually feeling fine which is strange but good haha
    I'll never forget what's-his-face (just kidding XD)
    I'll never forget Kyle but I hope he's happy with this decision and I wish him the best and hope he has an amazing life ahead of him :slight_smile:
    I know I will too because I got to have him as my boyfriend and thanks to him, I have many wonderful memories :slight_smile:
    But it's not time to be sad about the past as all I'll do is hurt myself... Now is the time to look towards a new future... One where I'm once again happy with someone :slight_smile:
    I don't know how long it'll take, but I know that despite the road to get there being rough... It'll all be worth it :slight_smile:
    So Kyle... Thank you for the four great months... I hope you have an amazing life without me in it and know that I have no regrets... I will miss you but our time is up, and it's time for the two of us to move on
    Thank you so much for everything...
    And thank you everyone for everything you've done as well for just being here for me :slight_smile:

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you've given your heart to another person and invested yourself in a relationship it is entirely natural to feel hurt and upset when it comes to an end, with feelings that are somewhat akin to grief. So it's also natural that you will need a little bit of time and space to reflect and recover, and it's okay to allow yourself that time. The main thing is to not wallow in a long process of grieving - think of it as a something to move through, rather than a place to get trapped in. If you follow the advice already offered and reach out for support, when you need it, you'll get there.

The relationship you need to focus on right now is the one with yourself. You seem to have the right attitude - you're not embittered towards Kyle or using damaging terms to describe what's happened and that's a positive, healthy sign.

It hurts right now and it might continue to hurt for a while, but once it begins to subside try to think about loving and trusting again.

Warm wishes.