1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to develop/consolidate friendships?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sam the man, Jan 27, 2015.

1. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all, I've been holding off on asking this for a while now partly because of... well, my pride honestly, and the fact I think it is a bit of a stupid question. But as they say, the only stupid question is the one left unasked, right?

Basically I'm wondering how to make friendships more... smoothly, for want of a better word, and to make the friendships I have more personal. I think my "default settings" as it were make me seem quite aloof- I don't often choose to go and talk to unfamiliar people beyond matters about classes/work, especially if they're in groups, and I don't really show my personality in such public settings.

So far at uni I've tried to take more notice of my behaviour and be more open with people. I talk to people slightly more, offer to go out with some, try and listen closely to their interests or problems, try and look more approachable... generally conscious efforts to be more friendly, because I suspect I don't naturally come across that way. And I've made two very good friends out of my flatmates from trying to do this.

The thing is... when it comes to making new friends I still act very awkwardly around groups I'm less familiar/don't resonate with, and I still don't trust myself to just go over and start a winning conversation with them. So I still have a tendency to be the lone wolf in those types of situations; I'm not very adaptable or confident there. And with my good friends, I don't really know how to go about making these friendships closer (as in, confiding in each other often/having a special bond) without seeming contrived or strange. It's like, I develop casual friendship dynamics just fine, but don't know how to reach the stage of becoming *really* good, emotionally intimate friends. I don't feel like I can say to them "I'm feeling down, can we talk about it" or "I really appreciate your friendship". I'm really not expressive there, even though I'd... well, quite like those kinds of friendships and to be that kind of friend for someone.

I'm aware not all of this might make sense, and maybe I'm expecting too much. But here goes; any suggestions on how I can make more and/or closer friends, or develop my confidence to?

2. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Having a huge fight and than patching things up can really bring two people closer. That and having road trips, discussions about serious issues, sharing memorable moments together and being honest with each other. If you want to strengthen your bonds you need to be more open and spend more time one on one. Try sharing your troubles with your mates and make it so they can share theirs with you. You have to make it so you are growing up together with each other's help.

3. Thrip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    People, such as myself, who are shy and socially inept can adopt a defensive posture that comes across, to others, as being stuck-up (I found this out the hard way). I'm afraid of saying the wrong thing or being misunderstood or made fun of. This makes my social interactions terse and appear aloof. People who don't really know me missread the situation and make the wrong assumption.

I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but you are doing the right thing by taking more notice of your behavior towards others and making a conscious effort to open up. When it comes to new groups and situations, don't be so afraid to fail socially.

As for developing deeper friendships, it often comes from getting to know each other better and if mutual respect develops, they go from acquaintance to true friend.

For me, stong friends have always come from mutual respect based on common activities, common music, and common morals. This develops over time as you get to know them and they get to know you. I knew one acquaintence for six months before we found that we both like rock climbing and then became close friends. Another guy became a close friend over a year and a half while we slowly figured out we had almost the exact same taste in music.

On the other hand, I've lost every friend I've ever come out to, so maybe I shouldn't be giving any advice on this subject.

I guess just don't try to force it, but also don't stand aside and do nothing. School is a great opportunity to meet people.

Best of luck to you!

4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for responses guys! @SeriousJack- true, that's what I need to do. In general I have a cautious approach to friendships... I'm slow to open up to people unless I've had lots of time to weigh it up and have a plan to laugh it off if they don't take it seriously/well. I've found also, I actually try to be in a group of 3 people rather than one-on-one, since I feel a lot of pressure to "perform" in a one-on-one conversation, since there's no-one else to fill the gaps I leave (but I'll only open up to one person at a time). I guess I need to look past these instincts and trust myself in one-on-one situations, as well as be more explicit about thoughts I have, because I can talk about serious issues and I like going places with friends, just at times I worry too much about it.

@Thrip- yeah, I think that sums up how I operate mostly. My behaviour changes a lot from group to group, and I can be quite muted or even avoidant in less familiar groups. I just don't know what to say. With my friends I at least have in-jokes and banter to fall back on, but with new people long silences are, um, quite likely. Partly, it's also that I'm still trying to find my hobbies and interests, and I fear that people won't find me interesting if they dig deep enough, so subconsciously at least I kind of make people into these judges of my character and worry about what they're thinking of me... irrational and wrong, I know, but there's that. Maybe it's more to do with how I view myself as much as my social abilities. But thanks, your advice is good and you didn't deserve to lose your friends because of coming out (no-one does) :slight_smile: