1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best friend just replaced me and barely talk

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ogmig, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Ogmig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometime i wonder if in the long run every relation/friendship are doomed to fail. Maybe are we not set to hang always with the same people.

I am a grown man yet i feel sadness because my friend (which i have a crush on :frowning2: ) just literally replaced me. We've been hanging out since college (we're in our 20s) like at least twice a week with occasional cooldown period. But then he suddenly just stopped visiting/calling/responding. He started hanging with a common friend of us (which he used to dislike and refused to invite him most of the time) and they're suddenly best friends. I still got to see them a few times in the course of the months as we sometime hanged with the same group and they pretty much confirmed hanging together all the time.

I know most people cycle through different friends as life goes on and so did i. However for some reasons this change of friendship is really hurting me. I think it's because of the 3 followings:

• It didn't fade out like most friendship, it was a sudden and brutal 180. We went from being together and texting all to time to complete ignore mode without prior conflict.
    • He's pretty much the only close friend i ever had a crush on and he knew it for at least a year. I'm losing a friend but its kind of breaking my heart too.
    • He replaced me with a friend he disliked... i basically had to "force" him to invite him every now and then because we had mutual friends. It makes me feel so low. Sad thing is that other friend just kinda stopped talking to me too, i think he know he's replacing me and somehow feel uncomfortable with me being around. I almost regret trying to keep the band together as now i am the one out of the clique.

So yeah obviously there are some gays feeling involved so i think i may be over reacting. Is that common for straight people to just replace a close friend out of the blue? Like i am supposed to just not care at all and hang with some other friends?

I don't know why i am posting this to be honest, i guess i need some people to listen and i can't really trust anyone right now.

2. robotman

Hm... Have you tried talking to him about this personally? Like say "hey buddy, what's going on? We used to talk all the time, etc", it might make you sound abit needy but if it is on your mind it might be worth bringing it to their attention. They will most likely respond with "naa, everything is fine" but atleast you asked. It's really frustrating when stuff like this happens especially when you haven't had an argument or anything...

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

One thing I'm not clear on, is this friend straight or gay? does he know that you're gay? does he know that you have a crush on him?
    these could all be factors in why he moved on, and why he did it so abruptly without telling you. If he knows and is gay, maybe he is attracted to the other friend. If he is straight and either knows or suspects, maybe he is uncomfortable having a close relationship with a gay man (not secure in his own sexuality yet)

4. Ogmig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well at first i kept texting him the usual twice a week, then once a week, then once every other week. After being ignored or being replied days later i gave up for a month. Then i decided to text him again and i asked him to come and grab a beer after his job. He accepted but immediatly asked if that other friend would be there. Somehow for the first time in months he came and visited me, he sat for like 30 minutes while checking his phone every 10minutes. Suddenly he tell me that our other friend just replied and hes on his way to my house.

Basicly at that point i was kind of pissed that in months i never got invited anywhere but as soon as he got here he make every efforts possible to invite that other friend. So i just asked him if everything was right, we used to be together all the time and now you're so distant. I had the "everything is fine" reply, but things didn't really change after that.

Somehow i think hes just still pretending to be my friend and i cannot grasp what happened. This story gets weirder but i'm not in the mood to post the rest today =/

@wildside he knows everything and has for about a year. hes straight but somehow hes not secure with his sexuality. i think he doubted himself for some time but he came as officially straight

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

if he's not secure with his sexuality, and he knows yours, that might be the very reason that he's avoiding you. that could be very toxic for you, and you may be better off with some distance. I know that's not what you want, but give it some thought. Also, since this is a friendship and not a romantic relationship, it might be worth developing more friendships, especially in the LGBT community, and not get too dependent on any one friendship. yeah, it's great to have a really close BFF, but this is what happens. I'm really sorry that you're going through this now. It sounds like a very difficult situation. (*hug*)

6. Ogmig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah you're probably right. Somehow i think i always knew he would push me away someday, i just didn't want to realize it and i didn't expect him to reject me in such a spontaneous way.

I really need to make more lgbt friends as i'm so depressed right now i'm just screwing my life in every aspect, socially, professionally, mentally and i would say romantically but this part is non existent. I would like to blame my unhappy life with bad luck, however in the end i think i just lacked (or currently lack) the backbone to be so different, even among others gay people. Seems like in every phase of my life (child, teenage and adulthood) i was rejected for different reasons ranging from poor appearance due to a (now solved) skin condition to my sexuality. I never felt accepted even as a child and somehow being still rejected as an adult makes that wound hurt because it never truly healed...

damn it was painfull tough to write this down but it feels good...somehow =p

7. m e l v i n

if it's not yet too late and asking him if "everything was right?" wasn't enough, then you should tell him directly how you feel exactly, tell him "i miss you" and tell him what you want to happen (*hug*) always works for me and my friends at times when we find ourselves having little time for each other :slight_smile: maybe a little hugging will help too :wink:

your situation right now is really hard.. you might feel like a third wheel or you feel very confused at the very least with how sudden these things happen.. what's worse is, it might be hard for you to shake off these feelings too, because for some people, the more a person reject him, the more they long for the person's acceptance and affection..

the good thing is, he's still you're friend :slight_smile: all these things doesn't necessarily mean that he replaced you nor he rejected or pushed you away.. i know it's hard but you can take these things positively.. just think of it like there's just another person added to the friendship and you're not really replaced (&&&) maybe it's just a feeling that you got, but if you think you're not his "best" friend anymore, maybe you can bring it back :slight_smile: be the one to initiate actions - ask him out more, invite him over, eat together, maybe travel together, and most of all, communicate more.. and i mean communicate personally as much as possible.. do all these every chance you get.. and hey, it doesn't really have to be only the two of you :slight_smile: as long as you have enough time together, whether it's just the two of you or with other friends, i believe it will turn out great :wink: remind him how you will just be there for him and don't give up on him :slight_smile: the others are right, there are a lot of possibilities why this is happening, and like wildside said, it might even be his sexuality.. so give it some time.. but just keep your hopes up :slight_smile: you've been friends for a long time after all, right? (*hug*)

i wish the best for the two of you :slight_smile: i'm glad you opened up here.. and please, don't fee like it would always be bad luck for you.. please remember that you are always good things in life so always be positive, there would always be people to support and appreciate you like us here, and you're still young, there are still a lot of friends to come your way, so cheer up :wink:

:thewave:

8. Ogmig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow your post made me feel so much better =)

Yeah he is still my friend, in fact when we hang the 3 of us we still connect like we never stopped being close. Yet they only seems to want to hang with me on occasion. Somehow i realise maybe he did not want to spend so much time alone with a gay man.

Anyway you made me realise i was maybe over thinking the whole situation. Come to think of it every time i made new friends i gave less time to the old ones. He just might be more spontaneous in reallocating his free time =p. There has been no sign of him wanting to "give up" our friendship so i guess i will concentrate on being happy that i still have this friend even tho he's not my "best" friend anymore =p

9. llamahoox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been in a sort of similar situation to you..right down to the detail about him initially not liking the other person (Or in my case not feeling 100% safe with teh other person)... In the end I told him how I had been feeling and he realised that he needed to spend a bit of extra time with me, so he came to visit me and we talked it through and everything haas been back to how it used to be with us and has been now for the past 9 months or so. I know how incredibly much this sort of thing can hurt x

10. m e l v i n

good to hear the three of you hang out together :slight_smile: but please don't think he's spending more time with the other friend just because you're a "gay man".. please, it's a common thing, it can happen to anyone.. i know straight male and female bestfriends who had the same situation.. we're no different (*hug*) besides, he already knew about you for almost a year.. and sexuality wouldn't matter as long as you have common interest right? :wink:

this happens to me too.. when my free time doesn't match with my friends' free time, and there's just no time for us to hang out together sometimes even for weeks.. we hang out with other people, but we make sure that each of us feel secured with our friendship :slight_smile: and, you see, it's not really how many times you hang out with him, but the quality of the time when you're with him, right? so make the best of those times, make him feel secured of your friendship, and make your self feel secured too (*hug*)

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

we human beings do tend to be self conscious, and it's definitely not just a gay thing. It's like when you walk into a room and people are laughing, or they stop talking, and right away we think it is about us. Generally, we're not the center of everyone's attention. But, we do tend to worry about it. Being gay just gives us one more reason to be that way. It can be easier to say than do, but don't take his relationship with someone else as being about the gay thing. Of course, if it is then maybe you would rather not know, or rather not know him. All those possiblities! So just enjoy his friendship and don't think so much!