1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dads opinion on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Belle the Bee, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad and I have a weird relationship. I love him and hate him at the same time. But mostly I pity him. Any ways he is 50 and a republican who has lived in the same conservative town basically his whole life. He's not at all religious and is also an alcoholic. My parent are divorced but my mom says when she met him (she was about 20, he was around 25) he was super fun and chill. He volunteered at a homeless shelter, hiked in Alaska and Colorado, smoked weed. He was a stereotypical hippy. I've never seen that side of him. Around me he's critical and stuck in his ways.

So you that you've got some background, let's get to the point. A few months ago I asked him about his views on gay marriage. He said "it doesn't effect us" He kept repeating that, even when I questioned what he meant. He doesn't know I am gay and that the subject most entirely affects us. I don't think I spend enough time with him that he would suspect me being gay, unlike my mom & sister who probably know I'm not straight.

What do you guys think about this? Does he really not care or is he "anti gay"? :confused:

2. shadowraptor

My dad is exactly the same way. He's in his 60's and incredibly stuck in his own world, he refuses to accept that homosexuality, transgenderism, etc. is a reality. I'm fairly certain he knows I'm not straight - a number of times he's expressed the sentiment that I'm not the son he wanted, who'd play ball with him and talk about girls with him. He's told me that if I was gay he'd figure out some way to cope with it, and conversely he's told me I wouldn't be allowed to live under his roof. He's incredibly tough on me due to my being not masculine enough for his stereotypical version of a son, he feels in some way that he's done something wrong or failed me in some respect. He won't even watch Modern Family or any show that even mentions LGBT culture, he thinks of it (and race to a lesser extent) as a plague or infection.

In my dad's case, I know he's homophobic and slightly racist, which kind of sucks for me because I find myself attracted to guys and would be willing to date anyone I feel a connection with regardless of race. I know I could never bring home a guy, let alone a non-Caucasian one, so long as my dad is alive. Of course I love him, but in a lot of respects I disagree with what he has to say.

Of course, that's not necessarily true of your dad. But from what you've described, and noting the similarities between our fathers, I think there's at least some hint of homophobia in him, whether he chooses to admit that or not. Hope that helps (*hug*)

3. lyjo

It's hard to tell from what you've written. Aren't all hippies cool about everything? :wink:
    You could try asking more questions and finding out whether or not he'd be supportive. Or you could ask your mother, surely she'd know.