1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Face dysphoria, or come out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sammy0412, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Sammy0412

I was born female, but identify as a boy (most of the time), and I'm not out to my parents. My mum wants to take me to town tomorrow to get new bras for me, but I'd much rather get a binder. I know from previous experience that it will be extremely dysphoric for me. Since I'm not out, I don't really know what to do. I would like to come come out to her, but I don't know how she'll react. I think my dad would be okay with it, but I'm not sure about my mum. Should I just deal with the dysphoria, or come out to my parents? These seem to be my only options. Any ideas about what you think I should do?

2. Lazuri

Depending on how bad you think it can potentially get, it might be a good idea to deal until you're standing on your own two legs. Safety is the most important thing here.

But if you don't think it'll be that bad, I say go for it if you can whip out the courage to do it.

3. Sammy0412

Thanks for the reply. I might come out to her tomorrow, depending on how confident I feel. If things go badly, my friend says that it's ok to stay with them until things calm down. So if worse comes to the absolute worst, which I doubt it will, I have a safe place I can go.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

if you think that your dad will be ok with it, why not come out to him first? if you don't expect a really adverse, homophobic reaction, then I suggest you come out to whoever is easiest.

5. Sammy0412

I might do that, that's a good idea. Thank you :slight_smile:

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

:goodluck:

7. ANewDawn

If you feel ready and safe, I would say take the chance and come out - you're definitely not going to get any consideration or validation if you don't.
    If she does force you to go bra shopping, maybe sports bras would be a middle ground.