1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just said yes to him and he's already irritating me. Help!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CyanChachki, Feb 7, 2015.

1. CyanChachki

One of the most frustrating things about me getting into a relationship is that they seem so amazing the entire time I know them but when I finally say yes, they're a totally different person. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone sends too many text messages. He has literally sent me 20 text messages after saying he loves me at least 4 times.They're all kissy faces and question marks and I'm trying to tell him to chill out with the texts, only to get replies like " I love you " and "what does this mean?" which doesn't make any sense. This is why I don't date people.

On a lighter note, he's one of my good friends and before all this, he was really nice, calm and kind and now it's like I'm being smothered within 5 hours. I told him that things where going too fast and when things go too fast, a relationship can get ruined.. I thought things would be great with him and that he would make a great boyfriend.. should I stick it out and try to sort things or break up with him before we get too deep? I'm so confused. :bang:

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people do this when they get into a relationship. It's part of the "honeymoon phase". I think you need to sit him down and talk to him. If he doesn't calm down after that, ending things might be best.

3. CyanChachki

Alright, thanks.. I guess I just don't like the level of clingyness.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an enormous red flag for sure. I haven't seen people who are healthy do this during any phase of the relationship, but it's certainly possible.

I'd give it a couple of days and then, if it's still showing signs of clingyness, be completely open and honest about it. The problem is, clingy people don't realize how clingy and pathetic acting their behavior comes across. The behavior comes out of low self esteem, so it isn't so easy to change.

But hopefully Anthemic is correct. The only thing to do is wait and see.

5. CyanChachki

Thank you. In all honesty, he really is a good guy it's just that I'm very independent and while I like things like cuddling and spending time together, going on dates.. things like that.. I don't like it all the time and I certainly don't like it when people expect me to text back right away. It's been a day, I thought I'd give it a try and see if I have any true feelings for him but if this continues after multiple times I've asked him to stop then I probably won't go through with it.. the only thing is that I feel bad about thinking about breaking things off, especially this early because I know that even though we'd be good, he'd be hurt.

I don't know if it's me? Like I always feel whenever I date someone that they're wanting to date anyone and not specifically me, like they want the idea of love but they're basically just picking anyone who'd be up for it. It makes me feel so stupid because I truly do want a relationship yet I always seem to end up with the clingy, desperate people who don't know what they want in the end and I know what I want. I know what my relationship goals are so to be like this status to those who I say yes to hurts my feelings a bit. Then again, I don't know if that's just me being whiny?

6. scub

tell him you need time to recharge the batteries lol.
    i wouldn't say much just maybe ignore some of the messages and reply a few hours later saying you're just a bit busy. i wouldn't call him out on it as that may hurt is feelings a bit. i'd say give him some time, sounds just like a excited/happy phase as mentioned.

7. CyanChachki

I've already confronted him today. He said sorry, then continued to do it. I'm seriously considering the whole " I think we should just stay friends" thing because he just turned into this different person and it's the spitting image of my last relationship.

I went to bed last night with all this on my mind. I kept asking myself, "Why is this bothering me? He's a good friend, why am I getting so irritated?" and it dawned on me that I said yes even though I told myself no a million times before. Then the question became, "Why did I say yes?" and I realized that I said yes because I wanted a relationship and that I was fine with dating him but my conscience is telling me that this relationship is just a statement, just like every other relationship I've been in. Every relationship I've been in was just a simple status. They don't want me specifically, they want someone. Someone that they can brag about because they are in love with the idea of being in love, not the idea of being in an actual relationship.

No one who isn't like this asks me out. Why? I'm not attractive and I understand that, completely. The people that ask me out are the ones who only care about having a status and that's not what I want. I want someone who is caring, loving and who can listen to me as I do them. This isn't it.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should definitely tell him you'd rather just stay friends. From reading your posts, it seems to me that you only said yes to please him and to give a relationship a try because you want one badly enough. I just don't think this one is the right one.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How many times have people done this to you? Maybe you're saying yes to the wrong people for the type of relationship you really want.

10. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Holy freaking God! That's a revelation. An aversion to relationships, not mine, but other people's has always puzzled me. Your comment made me have an epiphany. People hate being alone and rejected, and being single seems like your unlovable. I've seen people start relationships that last weeks or even days. I feel people have artificial relationships just for show or because their's no else and they pick a certain individual as an afterthought, not because they truly are special to them. How freaking vain and pathetic.
    As for your boyfriend, he's way too clingy and that's an indicator of emotional immaturity and an inability to be self-actualizing and independent. He may become more of a burden than a pleasure, and may unfortunately be difficult to view as someone you spend quality time with.

11. CyanChachki

I want to clear a few things up because I believe I'm coming off like a complete asshole.

I've known this guy for about 16 years at the least. I know him through my sports and we even took the same class in college. He's not a bad guy, he's not a clingy or annoying friend which is why I said yes to him. He had asked me out prior and I've been putting it off because I don't know what to say to him. My head was confused. On one hand, I truly did want to date him because he was a great friend but on the other hand I didn't want to date him because A) I thought about our friendship first and B) I didn't really like him that much. Yes, I did say yes to him because I wanted a relationship and I believe that it was stupid of me to say yes when I was on the fence about the situation but I don't believe that it makes me vain or pathetic.

I don't take people's appearances into consideration. If they're really, really attractive, that's just an added bonus. I don't see it as a must have. If someone doesn't know how to right or doesn't have proper grammar, I don't care.. granted there are a few turn offs and deal breakers but I'm sure a lot of other people would feel the same way.

As for him, I told them it would be best if we stayed friends. He has yet to message me but I figure that if I'm this stressed about it, then I just need to do it and from now on, I will give myself strict rules to not date friends and to figure out a person's true behavior before I say yes.

12. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww I am sorry. He does sound way to clingy with sending so many texts. I'll usually text my boyfriend 2 to 3 times a day and same for my girlfriend... a few times a day and that is it. And a lot of times I don't text at all because I want them to be the ones to initiate conversation. Why should I be the one to text all the time? But yeah, I have never felt the need to text all the time or even see my SO's all the time. Me time is good too. But you say he didn't text all the time or act clingy prior to yall going out? I think maybe he just really likes you a lot and is coming off too strong. But it may not be a good idea to date your existing friends. There is always that posibility of hurting the friendship if things don't work out. Good luck. :slight_smile:

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Agree with Chip but I wouldn't wait. Tell him you don't like it, if he keeps doing it or acting foolish, end it.

14. camdendream

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

15. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Has he replied, Justy?