1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CyberScream, Feb 11, 2015.

1. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How to deal with a father who thinks you are a loser and basically a stain on his business reputation.

Just had a fight with him about an hour ago. My dad works for an electrical company who does a lot of contracted work for my other businesses and corporations. Well, I worked for a hospital as a night shift housekeeper and got fired for some stupid reason. Well, my dad was under contract there during that time. And has now FINALLY caught wind as to why I was fired. Well, he blew up at me for it. Basically said it tarnished his reputation because I am his son and I got fired for being for something that I didn't do. But, I'm pretty sure the hospital will have a whole other story for him when he sits down with the EVS supervisors.

I've finally seen his true colors. Makes total sense. He never once showed support to my interests. You now how some parents will show up to their kids rock or metal show they put on with other bands at some bar or venue. My dad never did that. Never supported me when I went to college to be an actor. Never showed up to my baptism when I was at church back in high school. I invited him to my shows and then I stopped doing it. He asked me why I stopped inviting him. I told him, "What's the point? It's not like you were gonna show up anyway. I bet if Austin (my younger brother), was doing something like this, you'd be there in a heartbeat." He is always comparing me to my brother. "Why can't you be like Austin?" Yeah, Austin is his favorite. But I don't even my brother. I don't harbor any resentment towards my brother. Because he tells me to just ignore dad when he is being irate.

It's always, "You got to be successful. Stop chasing your idiotic dreams and start living in reality. Live in the real world." With him. My dreams are all I have left... without those... then I might as well be dead. My dad is such an idiot. Why can't he not see that?

He only wants me to be successful because it makes him look good. I've given up on so many things within the last 8 years because in the back of my mind... dad was there to tell me that I am a pathetic, worthless, failure.

I'm not. I will show him who the real failure is. I don't want his pride or his acceptance anymore. I just want to see the look of defeat on his face when I prove to him that I am far better at being a person than he is.

2. m e l v i n

that's right, prove him wrong :slight_smile: well that's the hardest thing to do, but that's almost always the only way to convince someone that you're right and support you and your dreams (*hug*) gain his respect, because more than his acceptance, approval or anything else, you deserve that.. everyone deserves that.. but please don't feel like he is your enemy, he is still your father, so prove him wrong in a good way.. sometimes, parents just have this plans for their kids.. he might not be supporting your dreams because he has his own dreams for you and not because he don't love you.. maybe the two of you need to talk about this (again, another hard thing to do).. and by "talk" i don't mean another fight, just have a real conversation, just voice out how you feel about what he's doing, or about what he's not doing.. i'm wishing for the best of you and your fathers relationship..

i wish you the best of luck cyberscream (*hug*) do your thing and let your success speak for you :wink:

:thewave:

3. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have felt that way since i was much younger than you and felt that way till I was about in my 40's. My father is such a control freak and love him to death, but it took me some time to realize this: just like any control freak in order for him to remain superior he had to put me down.

Find your own self worth and don't let him define who you are and what you want to be.

Hugs and hang in there.