1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feb 14 -- Singles Awareness Day!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wasgij, Feb 13, 2015.

1. wasgij

How is everyone coping with the prospect of Valen-in-your-face-romantic-crap-tines tomorrow?

My friend is going on a romantic weekend trip with her boyfriend.
    Married sibling -- probably also having some quiet time together.

I'm at that age where just about everyone I know is all coupled-up. It's frustrating. I'm trying to be a good sport, but it's hard, and I feel all whiny.

Is it bad if I cultivate some delusional feelings of smug superiority? Us singles, especially the chronic long-term ones, are really the next evolutionary step. To the breeders, we may appear to be a Darwinian dead-end, but maybe only childless people can ascend to the next level of incarnation after death? Yes, that sounds about right. I'll keep thinking that.

Coupledom is just a slight variation on animal territoriality. Symbolism like rings, and labels like boyfriends/girlfriends and marriage... it's all about leaving a smell on your property to ward off strangers.

I can hardly wait until Sunday.

Maybe I should get an overpriced coffee at a nice coffee shop, and chill out with Wifi and social media? Or will that make me feel worse?

2. Emmanuella

I never have minded valentine's day. Even though I'm single I'm going to enjoy all the chocolate and romance around me.

...if you can't beat 'em join 'em !!
    I'm making cards and cake for all the friends and people I love.

That is my approach this year.
    usually I just ignore the day and take advantage of the chocolate.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not going to be indulging jealously or envy tomorrow.

Because that's not what badass women do.

Instead, I'm going to be practicing OPSEC, computer forensics, and watching anime. I already earned my rest day ahead of time, because I just got back from my six mile run.

~ Adrienne

4. Notlad

I'll just stay off of social media. Then I won't feel upset or be reminded.

But good for the couples I suppose.

5. WearyWanderer

Honestly, it used to bother me to be single...now I don't see it as a problem anymore. Reflecting upon it now, I felt inferior to many of my other friends, who were in relationships, because I was single. I felt I needed someone in order to get on their level. Well, guess what. I don't need anyone. Nobody needs anyone. Despite what society tells us, humans don't need companionship; in fact, it is in our nature to fight against it, at least long-term. I have never been in a relationship while most of my friends have. Even though they may feel superior because of this fact, over the past year I have realized that it does not in any way make me inferior to them.

Let's look at this logistically. 100% of relationships end at some point. I am currently in high school right now, and when you're in a high school relationship it feels like it is going to last forever. But, while you may be able to last a month, the chances of you lasting more than a year, or past college at the very least, is slim. Even if your relationship seems strong, it may not be a happily ever after. I think it is around 40 to 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. And even so, there are a number of marriages where the couple for some reason feels obligated to stay together, and are subsequently miserable in their marriage. If, somehow, you are able to find someone to be in a long, committed, and loving relationship with, which could happen, it will still end with one of you standing over the other's grave (unless the two of you have the good fortune to both die instantly in an automobile accident. If so, cheers! :slight_smile:). The point is, although many relationships are happy and loving and do work, there are also many that don't. And even if one eventually finds such a relationship, it usually takes a lot of other relationships beforehand before they get to that.

So, the point of this morbid rant is that I don't really care anymore. I would like to be in a relationship sometime in the future, but I'm not rushing anything. I'll get one when I get one, and when I get one I'll hope that it's the right one. If so, great! If not, then whatever. Like I said, I have simply stopped caring. In the meantime, I can laugh at the poor bastards who are struggling to think of something "cute" to do on Valentine's Day.

6. Sos13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What are you talking about ... It chocolate sale day toomorow. ..

Joking aside , Trying to get over my straight crush was hard enough but nope Valentine day just make it worse xD

7. wasgij

Thanks!
    -less jealous
    -more bad-ass
    -less social media
    -don't 'need' so much.

Well, I've seen so many sketchy relationships, I suppose they need all the moral support they can get! :icon_wink

Spectacular blue sky outside in my area. Must exploit this meteorological anomaly now. Then, coding.

8. Pie

Pie Guest

You made my day! :lol:

On being single, it gives you more free time. I don't think I'll have enough time next year for both music and chemistry studies, parties (Saturday evening) and a relationship... So it's not too bad to be single actually!

9. monome

Stay away from mass-culture, social media and supermarkets - all this will make you feel lonely and depressed and worse than others.

Instead do something great for yourself. Maybe a nice trip in nature? Mountains maybe? Or do something creative or do one big thing that you should do for a long time. Something that will leave you satisfied?

It's also good to realise that we live in a culture that constantly advertises us some sh*t as ultimate happiness, while it's never true. So being in the influence of that you may think that having Valentines as a happy couple is The Thing, this is the creamies cream of life and you are incomplete without it. The truth is, Valentines are just another product, it should make you buy stuff in a pursuit of happiness, while you can achieve happines without the product. Just realize it and be good to Yourself :slight_smile:

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Love really has nothing to do with relationships. You can love your friends and family on valentine's day. It's a hallmark holiday that means nothing unless you choose to let it mean something.

Personally, as a single person that likes valentine's day, I get really sick of whiny single people ruining the day for the rest of us.

11. wasgij

Well, I had a mid-winter picnic on a local riverbank. It was actually quite romantic :icon_bigg
    Bringing a laptop probably wasn't the greatest idea, but I did manage to switch off the internet. I relaxed in the sun (OMG), and did some writing.

12. sempai

Once again, Singles Awareness Day for me, sigh.

13. SonicBoom

Was, I work for a big company in customer service .

Around 30 people (fellow employee's and customers) wished me a happy Valentines day.

I told them that Valentines Day for me is "Singles Awareness Day" and I got A LOT of laughs.

Thanks for the clever comparison of "Single Awareness Day"

:roflmao:

14. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind Valentine's Day at all. It keeps my annoying friends who do nothing but talk about girls and their relationships preoccupied and away so I don't have to be reminded of my singleness.

15. sslen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It used to bother me being single, but after my last very crappy relationship it no longer bothers me, although valentines day still gets me down if I follow any kind of social media. Luckily I had to work so I was saved from watching facebook and such ^.^