1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with the long distance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dano218, Feb 13, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok a year and half ago me and my boyfriend left our families in Minnesota and ended up in West Virginia. Both of our families have problems with the long distance and still to this day. My dad knowing beforehand that we live paycheck to paycheck has the nerve to ask me when I am coming back to Minnesota to visit. At least they are on that stage where they know I am not moving back home but still its frustrating. I understand me being away from home is a burden on them but I wish they wouldn't bring it up every time they call or email me. My boyfriend's family is the same way. How would you deal with this situation?

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would you and your boyfriend consider moving back to Minnesota? If not, then I would politely tell your parents that you're a grown man now, and that you like your life the way it is.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No we both hate winter or cold weather and we are not planning on ever moving back to Minnesota. My boyfriend damaged his hands cause of the cold winters so moving up North is a bad idea. When we lived in the same county as our parents they made our lives a living hell. If my parents or his parents want to visit us they are more than welcome to. But we don't even have money to vacation to Minnesota or to even consider moving back there.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wondering if the use of something like Skype would help? Not only would they be able to speak to you in real time, but they would be able to see you too and that could make a difference. Sometimes it's the not seeing a person that makes it so hard to accept. What do you think?

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's an idea. I don't have skype but I could do face time with them. They actually suggest ed facetime before but it was always the wrong time. The issue is they bring up the distance way too much and i don't need to be reminded that we have not seen each other in over a year every single phone conversation.

#5 dano218, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to be mean toward your parents, but they sound kind of annoying in that aspect; almost controlling. If they make your lives a living hell, then no way in hell should you move back. My mom makes my life a living hell, and I can't wait to get away. I even plan on moving out of state. So they need to stop putting it all on you and make the effort themselves. If it's such a problem to them, then they need to come visit instead of bothering you about it.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you actually. I mean a horrible rumor came about in that town about me and my bf and they protected the person who started the rumor instead of thinking about my feelings and if the rumor was true or not. I later found out it was my estranged sister's sister in law who started the rumor. So yeah it was a living hell.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't need that crap in your life. You moved away to better yourself, and I am proud of you, even if no one else is. They sound controlling and selfish. I'm sorry it has come to this. But you are doing the right thing. Don't let them put you on a guilt trip. My mom tries to all the time, and it's a form of manipulation.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks i appreciate that.