1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay with a bunch of straight friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by xeryian, Feb 19, 2015.

1. xeryian

Out Status:
    Some people
    I started university this September (first year undergraduate) and I made some friends. Like the title says, all of them are cis/straight. My friends in high school were like that too. My friends are great though and awesome to hang out with. I'm a little awkward and making new friends is a little hard for me, so I was just relieved to have people to talk to that are in my program (nursing).

I recently went to an LGBTQ-fandom-trivia-night-thing (sans straight-friends, since none of them are into that sort of thing) and someone talked about the stereotypical TV gay person giving relationship advice to their straight friends. She went on to talk about how this doesn't represent the reality of being gay and that almost all her friends were gay (the only straight person she ever really talked to was her roommate?) This made me really uncomfortable and kinda sad, because I'm gay but all my friends are straight, and though I'm out to them they tend to forget a lot? Like they'll ask me what kind of traits I'm looking for in a boyfriend, or talk about going to bars and flirting with hot guys, and every time I have to correct them I get a little pissed off.

Anyway, I'm kind of frustrated, because I was hoping to make gay friends in university so I'll finally have other queer people to talk to that will kind of understand the things I say (explaining queer things again and again gets tiring eventually right?)

Thoughts?

2. guitar

The vast majority of people/friends in my life are straight. I have a few close friends who I are gay & have been great sounding boards & confidants. I'd see if you can join an lgbt group at your school or within the community. Toronto is very lgbt friendly, it shouldn't be hard to find some lgbt people :slight_smile:

3. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here's the thing. You'll find as time goes on that people you hang out with happen to be gay or bi. In high school, I knew a bunch of people who were gay. However, I didn't know they were gay right away but rather overtime. A ton of my friends I had in junior high and highschool ended up coming out years after I met them. All my close guy friends in junior high ended up being gay or bi and the girl I had a crush on ended up being bi as well.

You're only a freshmen (as am I). I would assume that as time goes by, you'll find out someone's gay. It's not like people scream from the rooftops "hey everybody! I'm gay!". But yeah maybe join an LGBT club. Lots of Universities have them.

4. stimpacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have like one gay friend and the rest are straight guys. Although they are all very supportive, sometimes they don't really get me and I keep a lot of my thoughts and comments to myself when it comes to gay issues. One of the hardest part is putting boundaries on my feelings. If I feel like I might start liking my friend too much I distant myself until I'm back to normal.

Yea Toronto is gay friendly and I bet there are a lot of places you can meet up with other GLBT people. I hope you find what your looking for and best wishes.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

The sad thing is, I never liked having mostly straight friends for the reasons you describe. I get sick of people shoving their heterosexuality down my throat.

I mostly had to meet queer friends online. We're a minority for a reason, sadly.