1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point in all this. . . either way, I am alone

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mystic flower, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not sure where I can post this, but I just need to get this out of my chest. So many issues overwhelming me right now and I am not content with it only in my personal journal for my eyes only. I feel selfish but I just want at least one person to hear me out and just listen.

I have been married for over a decade, my oldest is a teenager. Over the years, I have faked the intimacy part and often wondered why. My guess was that it is my body's way of dealing with the emotional abuse. So I lived in fear and for my spouse.
    In the last year, I have been going to a therapist. Dealing with issues have been exhausting and yet liberating. I no longer live in fear and I live with my spouse and not for him.
    Upon discovering I am bisexual, through what I now know is the work of my spouse, it took a while to accept myself. There were times where I honestly felt utterfly disgusting, because of the homophobic upbringing. Now I feel comfortable in my own skin and have accepted the fact that I like both men and women. Now I understand why I faked it all, I am now aware of what makes my heart sing and it is a beautiful thing. I see the beauty in the embrace of another woman, and ache for it.

My current circumstances prevent me from being fully alive. Homophobic community, homophobic family, only a dozen people know who I really am and there is some support there but minimal. Spouse is still unpredictable, still selfish and I often wonder if I am what he really wants. Talking with some of his his family, they are saying that he needs to grieve. But there is no excuse for abuse! It is not right to inflict physical pain to another human being, especially to a wife, no matter what the situation is. Looking back now, the emotional abuse has subsided but it was intense. The physical abuse was minimal but was slowly escalating. Worse feeling is that I can't talk to my mother about any of this. I tried and she told me never to talk ill of my husband and to submit to him as instructed in the bible. Little does she know what I am submitting to.

While all this is happening in my life, I have an anxiety disorder. Have suffered from anxiety attacks and learned how to cope with them. I have been doing well in dealing with them. Again, I tried going to my mother. . . rebuke it, she says and said it is all in my head. Honestly, mother, do you think I want to feel this way?! With therapy, my mindset is slowly changing and with change comes obstacles. I feel liberated, as I put up boundaries and keeping them. I feel liberated, as I stand up for myself and do not tolerate abuse anymore. My idea of myself is becoming positive, it is not easy but I see a change. The more I challenge the thoughts and feelings of the 'old' me, the more I say I am not stupid, I am not crazy, I am not all the labels and names my spouse use to keep me oppressed. The more I rebuke them, the more physically straining it is. I am having more anxiety attacks, the physical symptoms of anxiety seem to be increasing. My bones ache, my stomach aches, my joints are stiff and I feel nauseous. I force feed myself, not a healthy way but it is giving my body the stuff it needs.

So to get away from all this, I take self care measures to calm my thoughts down. Soak in the tub for hours. Drive around in loops listening to my music. It is working. But there are times when spouse question me, my habits. I closed my heart to others, I pushed people away to make sure they don't see the abuse. But I am tired of being alone.

If that isn't enough, here is another string to add to my extremely tangled up life, to add to my complicated self. There is this woman I noticed and she made my head turn. Her smile caught my eye, and her stride makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter. We chat, well I feel it is me keeping the communication line open but that's ok. Hope I am not over doing it. But even though I am emotionally exhausted I want to get to know her, to have a friendship with her. I am attracted to her, but the physical part is not important right now. What I really like about her is her personality. I have invited her to go for a drive, a few times now. But she has had other things to do, and I am ok with it. Maybe it is best that I stay away, from her and from everyone else.
    At the end of the day, I am alone. So is it worth it to make an effort to have a social life? My efforts never work as those I try to have some sort of friendship always end up too busy to communicate with me. Is there anything wrong with me? What is it about me that drives people away? Why do I feel like such a disease? Maybe it is better that I do not make an effort to include anyone in my life. Keep it minimal. Take care of my family, show them unconditional love. I am tired of being alone, but I feel it is the only way to keep my heart safe.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are simply in an unhealthy situation.

You might look for support groups. There are lgbt groups, and groups for wifes.

You might talk to a friend you trust. Or look for such a friend.

There is a thread called this has never happened before.
    You could have a look at it.
    Maybe you come to exchange yourself with some of the participants.

Its possible your mother has still thoughts of a different generation.
    I'd not get angry at it but say its not compatible with human rights.

People should be together because they like each other.
    Not because of a book translated over many languages, written by mostly men.

I'd say show some self confidence.
    Its your right to live a life you like. And its your right to be treated with respect.
    You could tell people that.

Sometimes people have expectations. But you are not there to fulfill others expectations.
    Especially if that does not make you happy.
    You could say so, maybe in a nice but firm manner.

People can be nice to each other, without letting other people down.
    You could say so. If other people are around, they probably behave different, too.

I'd say try to be you, try to be yourself... be a bit more outgoing, meet some people...
    and look for support, like in groups.

Know it gets better eventually. Work on it, step by step. Keep going.

(*hug*)

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your husband is not going to change, ever. There is no reason to stay in such a marriage, and if you think your kids can't feel what's going on, you are wrong. Even if they have never seen your husband being abusive to you (verbally or physically) kids can sense that there is something wrong. They won't tell you about it, 'cause they have already learned that the issue is something that shouldn't be discussed. They might even blame themselves for it.

Only you can put an end to your own situation. There is nothing to be ashamed of, and there is plenty of resources out there to get out of the hell you are living in.

There is no sin in trying to protect yourself and your children. To stay next to someone unpredictable is to put their well being ( maybe even their lives) at risk.

Please, understand I'm not judging you as a parent, or as a human being. I've seen women's and children's lives ruined for not acting, I've seen things you wouldn't believe, and I'd rather not tell... I think you don't deserve any of that.

You seem like a sensitive, intelligent woman, and I'm sure you have a lot of good times ahead, think of it as the second part of your life, the best part, the part that will belong to you... If you want to get there, you need to make steps forward, brave steps, and the first one is talk about what is really going on with a social worker, someone who knows about abusive situations. Just let it out, everything : What happened, your fears, your hopes... Everything.

Acting in unpredictable ways is a strategy to keep you scared, under his control. He is doing this on purpose, analyzing just what makes you tick and pressing the buttons as he gets the chance. And if he tries to blame it on alcohol, let me tell you that those kind of people get drunk just to have an excuse later. After all, they need you to forgive them, so they can carry on.
    What his family said about his behaviour... Well, you don't expect them to blame it on him, don't you?

Get people on your side : Get help.

I hope you will be safe. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your kids.

4. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. Today has been a good day. I know each person deserve the best of life and I believe I do, too. Life is certainly a roller coaster ride, and when I wrote the thread, it was a really bad day where I doubted myself. Doubt, a constant feeling I am learning to let go and take faith. Self doubt forced me to build walls, but I am working on rekindling friendships and it is a constant battle as spouse is always questioning every move I make. But boundaries are slowly working for me. I do deserve to have friends, to pursue a friendship that I feel is meant to be. She has that smile that brightens my day, and brings me back to life. I am hoping the friendship will continue.