1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fear of vulnerability/showing affection

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by newkidaround, Feb 20, 2015.

1. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe this is a strange question but has anyone here experienced this--either you personally or friends or someone else you know...For those with no time to read, the basic question is "have you ever known someone who can't show affection to someone when they actually really, really like the person?"

I met a guy a while back. He's a nice guy, he's gay like me, charming...if you met him on the streets he'd chat with you and you'd think he was just a nice, good ol' boy. He and I met and he was initially that way with me, too. He didn't share much personal info but he'd chat about superficial stuff...work, news, weather, etc. He'd invite me over and we'd chat and stuff.

However (to keep this short), the closer we started getting, the more he started clamming up. It's like, the closer/ more emotionally intimate we get, the harder it is for him to show affection. Like, he can be charming and talkative with strangers, but it's like he gets super-nervous/clammed up/protective with someone he likes. I know that he likes me. I won't get into all the reasons how I know that, but just take me at my word for now.

Well, he went from being the one to invite me over to now just disappearing unless I take the initiative to contact him. When I do reach out to him, he responds and he's nice. But it's weird...it's like the closer we get, the more self-protective he gets.

I went to his house a couple weeks ago--uninvited...just to surprise him and say hi. He let me in and we chatted and we were both nervous...it was obvious....cuz, well, we like each other. He didn't seem especially affectionate...he came across as distant and like he had a wall up. However, when I was leaving he asked me several times if I was sure I had to go. Then, he gave me a big hug. Then, like 10 mins after leaving his house, he texted me and said "thank u for stopping by. It was good to see you".

It's just strange because, when we first met, it was him who was texting me and saying "hey, do you want to come over?" and texting me randomly. Now, it's like I have to do it all. If I don't text him, he doesn't text me. But when I text him, he always responds. Well, when I saw him I was like, "You know...u could at least text me now and then just so I know you are alive". Well, a few days later I was at work and got a text that said "Hey...just so you know...I'm alive".

It's so hard to describe but I know what I'm seeing. It's like...the more he likes me...the closer we get...the more frightened he is Well, if "frightened" is the right word...and so the more effort I have to put into doing things. I'm not used to taking the initiative like this..and I don't mind...but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do. It seems like he just feels vulnerable because of his feelings and so he is in this self-protective mode where he doesn't want to show interest or vulnerability...but if I'm the one to show it, he will reciprocate it to an extent. Like, he won't text me and invite me over anymore, but if I text him and say "when are you free?" he'll respond and say, "hey, hope you are well...i'm free on Wednesday and Thursday".

So, it's not that he's being mean or anything...it's just like the more he likes me the more he tries to pretend that he doesn't, if that makes any sense. I mean, I kind of get it on an intellectual level, but not emotionally. I know he had a rough upbringing and probably has some abandonment issues. I'm not trying to analyze him...just trying to understand how I can be more supportive and help our relationship become closer.

The best way I can describe it is a fear of vulnerability...like, he doesn't like showing or admitting that he cares because that makes him feel weak or vulnerable and so he has pulled back, but is still responsive when I take the initiative. However, I certainly don't want to end up feeling like I'm begging someone to be my friend. It's just silly cuz I can feel we care. Well, I'm not calling his issue "silly". If it's something that bothers him, I'd like to help. I'm just not sure how.

2. Jafta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Similar thing is happening to me. Started seeing this guy after we met online. He kept going after me, we talked all night for a month. Then all of a sudden, even those he's lovely in chat, he starts acting a bit colder. Now I have to talk to him. It's annoying me and I am furious at him. He even ditched me when we had plans. Definitely insecure. Not sure where we stand now.

3. wasgij

Maybe it's more like he's tearing down the mask of confidence that he has around other people? Maybe it'll just take some for the real him to build up some natural confidence that isn't just acting.

4. itsmary

I feel like that guy. I don't usually talk much about myself even when I'm surrounded by people I love and care about. It's extremely difficult for me to show affection but it doesn't mean we don't feel love for other people. I do love my friends but I have never said "I love you" or hugged them first.
    Some things take time, maybe he just needs a little space. You should keep trying to contact him and see what happens. I'm more open with people who care about me so maybe that boy feels the same.

5. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I'm sort of like this guy. Though I'm anxious to talk to people in general, I can talk about neutral topics to a certain extent. But I always have my guard up, because:

1. I have been through some serious shit because of telling about some personal things to others,
    2. I'm afraid if someone learns about my personal things, they will use it against me,
    3. I feel the need to be accepted into society, but I'm afraid that people won't like who I am and will reject me.

Basically what it boils down to is the fear of rejection, and serious trust issues because of horrible past experiences. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this guy and I shared similar experiences in the past.

It's very hard to get a person like this to trust you, or anyone for that matter. His attitude towards intimacy can be because of the aforementioned reasons, or because he's really insecure on the inside, and can't believe that someone can truly love him. His outgoing nature towards strangers might be only a mask. Might be slightly paranoid too.

I base all of what I said on my own experiences, he might have other problems. Try to communicate with him, sit him down and tell him what you think and feel, try to get him to open up a bit, but don't be hard on him. Suggest him that you two should spend more time together, and tell him a lot about yourself, so he can get to know you. And be patient, it takes time for some birds to hatch. :slight_smile:

6. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    HunGuy...You mentioned that you thought it was possible that you and this guy could have had similar experiences. Would you mind sharing some of what your "experiences" were? If not, that's okay, too. Thanks for your response.

As I mentioned, this guy does seem to wear a "mask" of sorts. He can be charming and even talk a lot...but it's always about superficial stuff.

He did mention once that he was not raised by his parents. That his father just left him (for no good reason...I asked him why his father left and his response was "I don't know, I guess he's just an a$$-hole" and that his mother died when he was younger (I don't know how young he was at the time). So, he was raised by other family members (e.g. grandmother). That's really all the "personal" stuff I know about him and I didn't feel comfortable pushing for more details at the time.

So, he may very well have some attachment issues. Like I said, I care about him a lot but I don't want to play therapist. I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to show I care and to hopefully demonstrate that he can trust me and not push me away.

7. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    All of what you have said is extremely relevant to me. People think of me as charming, adorable, nice, and cool, but when I get these compliments, I shut myself out. Why? Because I feel like these people are "lying" and if they aren't, they don't know the real me. The real me is nothing like these nice words and I feel guilty when I receive them. I never know how to respond appropriately so I detach myself since that is the only way I can save myself from rejection and pain. It hurts. If I hate myself so much now, why would a friend/lover accept? I'm a brooding and depressing mess.
    I don't lie, but I avoid personal chatter. Being perceived as "charming" is a result of my ability to speak about neutral subjects and partly a way to compensate for my loneliness.
    OP if you want to understand your friend, I recommend you share some of your own problems and demons with him. Admit something that isn't the best about you. That shows that you're human and can feel pain and be imperfect. It shows you still have "bad" qualities, but your modesty and vulnerability will make it easier for him to accept his own. Everybody shows the best about them in a superficial social setting. Nobody shows their worst. Even if he appears confident, he's very insecure inside. Since I'm like your friend, I personally feel that someone that can open up to ME, a worthless good for nothing, will make me relate to them more. That ability to connect over similar things will allow you two to understand each other. It will take time, but hope and wish for the best.
    Here's a hug(*hug*).You're a great person for caring to begin with.

8. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

newkidaround, my first post on this forum was partly about these experiences: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/156269-introduction-seeking-advice.html

He might have experienced serious bullying from other people too, but of course it's just theoretical.
    Many times in the past I was told off, criticized, laughed at for the things I said, liked, or did. These incidents taught me not to express my opinion, because if someone disagrees, doesn't like it or ridicule me because of it, then I won't be accepted and loved. By pushing people away I save myself from disappointment, as I don't give them a chance to reject or hurt me. This way I'm the one who's in control of the situation, not the others, I'm the one who rejects the others. There are many things I'm interested in, but to the outside world I might seem like a boring person, because I only talk (very rarely) about everyday topics. My paranoia is much worse when I'm depressed, but there is a basic level of paranoia in me, that keeps me from trusting people fully. That silent voice of doubt is always there, saying that even the people I trust can betray me.

If this guy feels like I do in these matters, then I think the best way to win his trust to a certain extent is to tell him things about yourself. Bad things too. If someone would tell me about their skeletons in the closet, I would see they trust me that much, and I would be more inclined to tell bad things about myself. And also my fear of these things being used against me would decrease, because I would also have something that I could use against them if they betray me (like having nuclear warheads but not using them in fear of retaliation as in the Cold War). That would give me some sort of sense of control. I know it sounds fucked up, and it is fucked up indeed.

9. Trooper

Based on your description, this guy sounds exactly like me. Becoming increasingly nervous as my feelings grow for someone is the way I've always been. I think it's become worse lately, since 2 guys I really liked (whom I would often act uninterested around, despite trying to be open), who I'm sure liked me back, eventually stopped pursuing me. This has probably made my trust issues even worse. Despite my behavior, I actually get attached very easily, so it's not worth it to become vulnerable to someone you don't know well enough.

So if this guy is the same way, I would say keep going. He's probably doing the best he can, from his perspective. Try to make him feel comfortable, and as long as he's responsive and you still like him, don't be afraid to pursue him (but don't overdo it of course). Even if he has some deep insecurity issues, if you both like each other, there's no doubt he'll open up more in the future. If it really bothers you, you could talk to him about it, but that may push him back further. Try to give off some positive energy instead, like how much you enjoy spending time with him, discuss what you'd like to do with him in the future etc.

10. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, everyone, for the responses so far.

It's just strange because the guy seemed so confident in the beginning when we first met. He would text me first, want to see me all the time, invite me over often, etc. And now, he just basically ignores me and acts cold, distant and aloof. The closer we get, the more he seems to shut down. I guess it's a fear of intimacy or of being vulnerable.

However, when I surprised him at his house a couple weeks ago, after having not seen him in person for MONTHS, he was wearing the necklace I had given him as a gift last year. And he obviously didn't put it on just for me, because he didn't know I was going to show up. But we were talking and he was like, "Hey, look...and he pulled down his collar and showed me the necklace", so I was like "wow, he must like me". If a guy I didn't like gave me a necklace, I wouldn't wear it, and I sure wouldn't point out to the guy that I was wearing it.

Last week, for Valentine's Day, I sent him a card and a small gift. I texted him and he responded and said thanks but that he doesn't like getting gifts from people. He sounded appreciative but emphasized several times that he does NOT like getting gifts.

I don't know. It's just so hard to read him. Like, I don't want to give up because I do really care, but a relationship can't be one-sided. It's just so weird. I asked him when I saw him why I never hear from from him and he was like, "well, I'm just a loner". But, he wasn't a "loner" when we first met. He texted me a lot, even if he did just talk about boring, superficial stuff. And although I like to take people at their word, it just seems like an excuse to say he's a "loner".

So then sometimes I think, "Well, maybe he's a loner and/or just doesn't like me" but then after I told him to text me now and then to let me know he's alive and safe because I care about him, he actually did text me the following week and said "hey, I'm alive" and then we had a few texts back and forth. And if I knew a guy liked me, and I didn't feel the same way, I wouldn't text him and say "hey, I'm alive" in order to start a conversation. I told him I care about him, so I can't see him even doing that if he didn't have some interest.

But since the last time I texted him was on Valentine's Day (last week), I just texted him this afternoon. I basically said, "Hey. How's it going? I'm busy doing blah blah blah. I hope you are having a nice weekend. I did x, y, and z. Let me know when I can see you again. I know you are busy so just whenever it's convenient for you. take care and talk to you later". That was several hours ago and I haven't received a reply.

Also, his responses to me are often vague or ambiguous. For example, I just gave him space last year, and several months passed and I never heard from him. So, finally it was Christmas time. I sent him a gift. He texted me and said thank you and that he was "surprised to hear from" me. He didn't say "happy to hear from you" just "surprised to hear from you". I told him in my card that we should get together and catch up. He responded and said "yeah, let's get together after the holidays are settled" but he doesn't actually say a time. So then I waited until the end of January and, after not hearing from him, I sent him a text and said basically "well the holidays are settled...when are you free?" and he responded and told me a couple days he'd be off from work. But, it's like pulling teeth or so it feels.

Somedays I feel like he wants love but is fighting against what he wants at the same time. Then, some days, like today, I feel like "oh, he just doesn't care about you or he'd be putting some effort into this friendship as well". It's kind of been a roller coaster emotionally. Like, when he texted me the other day and said, "Hey, I'm alive" I was so thrilled but then I started feeling stupid, like "How desperate are you for crumbs of affection from this guy...that him just saying that he's alive can make you happy"?

I guess sometimes I think, "be patient and kind because he obviously has issues" but then sometimes I think, "he doesn't care about you and isn't treating you like a friend". I just waiver between those two. After he ignored me for several months last year, and I finally saw him for the first time a couple weeks ago, I told him how long it had been since we saw each other and he said, "well, I didn't even know if you were even thinking about me or not". And I thought to myself, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!". Now, I did give him "space" but he didn't reach out to me at all, or respond at all, until after 3 months of silence when I sent him a Christmas gift.

Well, I'll stop with the rambling. I'm just having a hard time and haven't experienced anything like this with a friend before. It just all seems so backwards....he was fine being all talkative and superficial when we were basically strangers, but the closer we get, the more he pulls away. So, if someone is scared of love...do you keep loving them and showing them...which is what frightens them? or do you just back off and let it go, which may feel less frightening but I don't think is really what they want or what is best for them? It's like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Thanks, everyone. :kiss:

---------- Post added 22nd Feb 2015 at 07:19 PM ----------

One last thing...I wanted to point out when this all started. We were casual friends or whatever and everything seemed fine. Then I went on vacation. While there, I picked up some small souvenirs for my friends, including him. When I got back, I sent him the gift by mail and told him I thought of him while I was away, so I picked up some things for him.

That's when he first started pulling away. But, I really get the feeling that it's not because he doesn't like me but because he does. I guess that gift made him aware of his feelings and maybe that scared him. Ever since then, he has been like this. I guess maybe I shouldn't have sent him Christmas and Valentine's Day gifts, but that's how I am with those I care about.

11. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, so my friend just responded to my text but it was like "hey. Im working. Good to hear from you. Glad to hear u are well. Take care." He didnt even respond to me asking when I could see him again. It's so frustrating. It's like...do u care or not??? Aaaargh.

12. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh....and this is my last post, I promise, lol. He did mention in the text that he is super busy with work for the next 2 weeks because he works a swing shift. Maybe that was his way of saying he cant see me for a while. But still, I wish he would have said *something...anything* about wanting to see me or that he will txt me soon....guess I will just need to be patient. Part of me thinks if he didnt care he would be ignoring me completely. So, maybe this is just the best he can do with what he has now. I just wish he would show some kind of affection...a big sign. Maybe this is the Universe's way of teaching me patience lol.

13. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

The next big step would be a serious and honest talk with him as I said before. Try to get him to talk to you in person, and tell him everything in a calm and understanding way. Yes, it might upset him as it would upset me, but I believe it's much better when all the cards are on the table. People like me can assume things and come to baseless conclusions, over-think everything, and misinterpret things really bad. We don't see what IS, but what we THINK. Direct approach works better with people like this than hinting at things or giving subtle signs.
    So I think it's best to tell him your concerns, and ask him his, but try to do it gradually. It's much harder with people that are this hard to catch, because if the talking scares him the first time, it will be very hard to sit him down the second time.

I guess patience is important with people like him, but there is a certain limit to patience. You, and only you should decide whether you keep on trying, or just stop at some point. After a certain time I would ask myself if he's worth the time and effort. It may sound harsh, but even with taking his attitude into consideration, and after several unsuccessful talks I would really consider giving up.

I hope you can talk to him and I hope he will be able to open up. I wish you the best of luck! (*hug*)

14. Emmanuella

Definitely me!!! I don't know what it is... I've ALWAYS had the hardest time just opening up when it comes to being affectionate or sentimental. I definitely CRAVE the hugs/affection.... but I'm SO awkward at giving it that I wait for others... and in return others think that I don't like the affection since I'm rarely affectionate and so they back-off as to not make me "uncomfortable".... :help: :dry:

15. Trooper

Hmm, after reading your last few messages, it seems like he's been shutting you out even more than I initially thought. Not being very responsive, even when you're clearly reaching out to him, is not a very good sign... It may be appropriate if you talked about your relationship (and his desires/expectations), after all. Although I also agree with HunGuy that he may have jumped to baseless conclusions, e.g. after you didn't contact him for several months.

It's a difficult situation, but at this point I think you need to start thinking about yourself. Regardless of whether this guy has deep insecurity issues, or the interest just isn't there on his end, it's not fair to put yourself through this for too long.

16. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, Trooper. Well, he is responsive but ONLY if I initiate it. Well, he finally texted me on his own last week and told me he was alive. I appreciated that a lot but it was because I asked him to let me know he's alive every now and then...he didn't put any emotion in it, that's for sure.

If I text him, he will respond. If I ask him when he is free, he will tell me. When I visit, he'll text me after and tell me it was good to see me and thank me for stopping by. However, he just doesn't initiate anything anymore. I get the feeling that he likes me but it's like he is not willing to do anything that would make it obvious that he likes me, if that makes sense. It's like, he's not willing to put himself in any position where I could reject him...and I really get the sense that it's because it makes him feel vulnerable...

So, for now, I guess I just have to keep taking the lead and initiating things, but I'm just not used to having to do that.