1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boyfriend's death

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dano218, Feb 25, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok its been a week since my boyfriend passed away from natural causes at 47. I am contemplating on whether to go to the funeral and if my boyfriend would want to me to go given the circumstances stated below.

My boyfriend's family never accepted his sexuality and his funeral is in a church he abhorred. The small town he lived in was filled with rumors about his sexuality and his family was always worried he would embarrass them in the community. I knew my boyfriend better than anybody. His hopes, dreams, secrets, and life story and I had a connection with him stronger than anybody he knew. At his funeral I know everything will be sugarcoated and swept under the rug and not want he would truly want in a funeral. But what could I do I have no rights over that because we were not married. I gave him the best 2 years of his life and I know in his heart he felt the same way. I was the only man he truly loved and we shared a strong faith in God and Jesus.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you loved him, and he loved you, don't you think he would want you there? If your concerned there is a physical risk or safety risk to yourself, then that's a justifiable reason not to attend as you can always pay last respects separately.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't know. The funeral is not where he would have want it to be and his family does not know we were in a relationship. He would want me to pay my respects in the way he would want it. There is no physical risk or safety risk as his family does not know what I look like or have they contacted me asking me not to attend. It would just feel awkward and out of place. He wanted a burial not a cremation and he never wanted to be buried in a small town next to his parents. It is all wrong. I don't have a car so I may not be able to get to the funeral anyway. It sucks but I know our connection is stronger than that or anything.

4. TheAnon32

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im young and never been in a serious relationship but i have experienced loss. My advice is that you go to the funeral. It may be hard and you may feel uncomfortable but you don't want to regret not going, down the road. Regret lingers and hurts deeply. You may not agree with all the decisions is family made but you still owe it to yourself and him that you say goodbye, as hard as it may be. Stay strong. I know it doesn't help and it may mean nothing coming from me but I am truly sorry for your loss.

5. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At this point it's about you and the memory of him. If you're not in any immediate danger go and pay your respects. You're already want to go to his funeral, so there's no point in not doing it. I don't know how it works in the US, but if you're lucky you might see him one more time.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if going to his funeral is the closure I need. I am at peace knowing he is with our heavenly God and Jesus. He had such a deep faith and this funeral won't represent him at all.

7. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It occurs to me that by attending the funeral, you are making sure the "real" him is represented and not just what his family wants

8. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    really depends on how you look at it. i've been in a lot of funerals and it never gets easier to look at the person that was alive yesterday, alone to stand before you as a dead one. i can agree with highway, if your personal safety is at a risk then you might want to reconsider it and pay your respects at another time, you can think of it as having your last memories with him alive and well with the person he loved the most. you can find more peace in that then to force yourself into a family that never accepted his sexuality or a part who he was.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His family does not know me or know who I look like. They know I was his roommate sod I don't think me going to thee funeral is gonna make an impact on them either way.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2015 at 05:25 AM ----------

It's just my gut feeling my boyfriend wouldn't want me at the funeral. He wouldn't want me in that environment he himself abhorred.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you don't make it to the funeral, you can, in a sense, memorialize him among us...Tell us about him, what he was like, and how he made you happy...

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He was just a great person. A kind, humorous, intelligent, religious all a round good person. He understood me, my problems, needs and wants and there was nothing kept secret. He was a open book and so was I. I had a connection with him no in his life ever had or I ever had in my life. He was my first true love and he prayed everyday for every reason. I cannot imagine finding anyone like him and I'd be lucky if I did.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest creating your own memorial. Online, in real life with your and his friends (if you had much of a circle of friends), or in whatever way seems appropriate. Honor his memory in the way he would have wanted to be remembered, and share about him in that same way.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dano, I can only suggest you follow your instincts and do what your heart and mind is telling you. Nobody knew your boyfriend better than you, so if you truly believe he would not wish you to be there, in that place, with all of those strange people talking about him, then don't go... but, do take time out of your day when the funeral is taking place and remember him in your own special way. Give yourself that time.

Although I did attend the funeral of my Mother and Sister when they died, I also decided to remember them by planting roses. I take great care of both plants and they return to marvellous bloom every year. Maybe you could do something like that? Did your boyfriend like any particular plants or trees? You could have your own planting ceremony at the precise time of the funeral and every day of every year you will see your chosen plant/shrub or tree live and thrive and grow as a permanent memorial to the man you loved and adored.

I don't know if that sounds like something you would like to do? It's just one idea, but you could come up with something more personal or appropriate to both of you.

Use this thread to share your memories of him and let us know what you decide to do Dano.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to the funeral of my deceased partner and I deeply regret it : Funerals are for the living. He knew you loved him, and so did my dear boy.

Looking back I realize I insisted to be on the funeral because of my own insecurities, the need to prove I have been there maybe even I had been the one... The relationship went on for almost a decade, and we were not married, so I had really no bussiness there. We came from different social backgrounds, different countries, and I felt inadequate even if the family and friends acted very warm towards me at all times. They knew me already, but we were not really close and I'm sure they were not expecting someone like me to become part of their tribe.

I felt happy to see that the parents were glad he had somebody at his side when he died, but all felt somehow forced... Also everyone was devastated as well, so their feelings were not real somehow.

I can't express here with words how I feel you here. All I can tell you is what a friend of mine (also a widower) told me : Get out of the house everyday.

Don't go to the funeral. If I'm still talking to the relatives and friends it's just out of politeness, 'cause it never did me any good. To dream about him was good. He came back three times in my dreams, and the last time he was talking to some friends, relaxed, and smiling. He was most happy among his friends, being social and making others enjoy and relax.

I send you all my love.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good idea. Thanks.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2015 at 10:21 AM ----------

Thanks for the input. My boyfriend did not like any particular plants or trees but I will think of ways to honor his memory. It's winter in Minnesota so it would be hard to plant a tree or plant anyway. He loved Jesus with all of his heart and it is one of the most important things in his life. The bible verse John 3:16 was his favorite verse. He had a tattoo of it on him. Maybe I should get the same tatoo. That's an idea. But there is several things I could do and I'll keep thinking of it.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2015 at 10:26 AM ----------

Thanks for the amazing input. I appreciate the advice and support.

16. Lazuri

When my grandfather died I insisted I'd be allowed to attend his funeral since my dad at first wouldn't let me. My dad just told me a quote that my diseased grandfather used to say: "Don't go to funerals. Nothing fun ever happens there."

I eventually coerced him into letting me go and that quote ended up being the last lesson my grandfather ever taught me.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok its been a week since my boyfriend passed away and I moved back home to my family because I have no income right now. This is really annoying me. My boyfriend liked guys with long hair and convinced me to grow it out. I eventually did grow it out and actually did not mind it. Now that I am home my mother and my sister and sometimes my dad keep pushing me to get a haircut. Maybe I will get one sometime soon but how bad would it look if I cut off my hair because my boyfriend is now gone. I even told my mom this and she said well you can make that decision on your own now since he is gone. I know he would be looking down from heaven saying oh jeez your parents are at it again.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today is the day of my boyfriend's funeral and I am gonna find better ways to honor his memory than going to his funeral in a church he abhorred and in a community he resented. He will also be cremated and that was something else he did not want. Well what can do when you unexpectedly die without making arrangements or being married. His parents couldn't control his life or the way he lived his life but it is sad how they sure can control things after death. I am just sitting here wondering on this day how to honor his memory. Maybe I should get a six pack and enjoy his favorite tv show Hogan's Heroes. But I live with my parents now so I don't think they would approve. Rest in peace the only man I ever truly loved and I know all those strange people worshipping you today know less about Jesus and God's love than you and that you had more faith than they ever did.

19. Lazuri

I'll pour some on the ground for him.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone