1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with homophobic family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by logson, Feb 26, 2015.

1. logson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I have a guy that I have a huge crush on. I was just wondering if there was any way I could date without anyone in my family finding out. They are all homophobic, and it won't turn out well for me if they find out. Thank you for your help in advance!

2. AKTodd

It is actually possible (and not uncommon) for two straight guys to hang out together (including going to dinner, movies, hiking, etc. that could all be dates). So if your family thinks you're both straight and just friends it should be doable as long as you are careful about displays of affection and how you refer to each other in their presence or in public if you live somewhere where they are likely to see you out and about.

If the guy you are dating is rather more obviously gay or is out and not willing to hide his orientation from your family, things get rather more complicated.

Todd

3. logson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you AKTodd, I never thought of that. I just thought anything between us would look gay. I forgot that only about five of my friends know I'm gay