1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in love with my straight male best friend. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PianoMan1, Mar 1, 2015.

1. PianoMan1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've developed a very strong, almost obsessive attachment to my straight male best friend (I'm male and gay). It's got to the point where he's my first waking thought and I get anxious when he's not around, and the idea of him getting with girls is the most painful thing I've ever experienced. This is causing me grief because I'm worried this will put too much strain on our friendship, and I just can't enjoy my life at the moment because this I can't stop thinking about him, and can't bring myself to seek out people who may actually like me back. He knows that I like him but not how much pain it's causing me. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Any advice on how to escape this nightmare? Thanks.

2. Rainbows~Exist

You said "He knows that I like him," so I'd suggest talking to him about it. Recently I told and explained my feelings for one of my friends and it was the best feeling ever. Yeah it sucks to be rejected but you'll feel relived once its over with and who knows? Maybe this could be the start of something new? Anyway... let me ask: Would you regret never telling him? If so then I'd advise you to go for it. Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. TwoWays

Talk to him about it. It could go three ways:

-You get rejected and ruin your friendship. Unlikely if this does happen, then he was not your friend
    -You get rejected but things stay as they were before
    -Or he even, could even admit that he likes you back. This is what happened to me, I kissed my "straight" male best friend and now he is my boyfriend! :grin:

So it could change everything for you. So just talk to him.

4. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in a simillar situation with a friend from my former residence hall. The best thing you can do is to stop thinking about him in a romantic way. He's straight and therefore he'll never be in a relationship with you. Sorry if I am too blunt, but I think this is the best way I can help you.

As I have experienced the same situation, I know it will be very difficult for you to forget him in that way. But if you don't want to keep on suffering, that's the only way.

I know that he's your whole world right now, but there are a lot of not straight men in the world; so you have a lot of chances to find love in other person.

There's not a magical way to overcome that situation. All you need is time.

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2015 at 09:35 PM ----------

I've assumed you're absolutely sure that he's straight. If not, you could think of talking to him about your feelings. That's up to you.

5. PianoMan1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses guys. I should have made it more clear- I have already told him how I feel, and we've discussed it on several occasions. He insists it doesn't bother him, and I believe him. The problem is that I've recently made it clear (through actions, attitudes etc) that it causes me huge grief that he tries it on with girls. Obviously I can't ask him not to do this, but I'm worried he's thinking I wish he won't (which I kind of am). I just think that would be a huge strain on the way he sees me. I do just want him to be happy, but the idea of him being with other people makes me depressed.

6. TwoWays

Sorry to be blunt... but you need to move on :frowning2: He's made it clear that as much as you are his friend, there will be nothing more than that.

Try to find someone else to be your boyfriend, but still be there for your bestfriend.

7. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I absolutely understand you. If he's a good friend (probably he is), he'll understand what you're going through.

I know it hurts a lot, but you have to be strong. (*hug*)

8. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I could have written what you wrote except I never told my friend how I felt. I know exactly how you feel with your friend getting with girls. I was so anxious about my mate getting with someone that it made me quite depressed and I just couldn't eat or sleep. It ruined me at the time. He then got a girlfriend and I felt crushed, it was horrible.

The fact that you have talked to him about it is a step in the right direction as he understands and you both know that nothing will happen between the two of you, as shit as it sounds. You have to keep telling yourself this and keep working with him to move on. It might hurt when you see him with girls but it is what it is I'm afraid, try and accept it and move on.

It's good that you're still friends though as I haven't spoken to my friend in almost 6 years. All the best mate :slight_smile:.

9. PianoMan1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who's gone through something like this. Just gotta hope things get better :slight_smile:

10. bounced

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely understand how you feel... I am in love with my best mate and it tears me up inside. We spend a lot of time together, and I love every minute I'm with him. When he's gone my heart aches. If he hooks up with a chick I get feelings of jealousy and feel almost devastated... But then I go and hook up with girls and think nothing of it, the behaviour is irrational and hypocritical... I don't know how to deal with this, it has also interfered with any potential relationships with anyone else because I'm not interested in being with anyone else...

Then again I think to myself that I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with him in case it doesn't work out and I lose him for good. The only difference between our stories is that I haven't told him how I feel, although I'm sure he knows something is up, I treat him differently to all my other mates...