1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trapped in a bad situation with my parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ctrl alt delete, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yo,

So I just thought I'd vent here a bit. I'm back living with my parents while I try to get my life back on track after some set backs. They're both very nice people and are usually supportive but they both have some pretty serious issues themselves. Plus they are unhappily married and have been for most of my life.

They're not really talking at the moment and neither of them is working. So they are both at home all the time and every time they have an emotional crisis they keep coming to me for support or to help them sort it out. Its becoming really draining having to look after these two other people all the time, especially since I feel I have no choice in the matter. Moving out isn't really an option right now as much as I'd like to unfortunately and I'm doing a lot of commuting.

I went to the doctor today because I've been feeling really weak lately and he told me the problem seems to be psychological. I really think its because of my bad living situation. I feel like exploding at my parents all the time for all the ways they keep trying to control my life and get into my head.

Usually I'd be able to cope better, especially since I've been dealing with my parents marriage problems since I was a teenager. But recently I've started dealing with some pretty traumatic stuff that happened to me when I was a child through counselling. And its just like I have this huge emotional burden of that all the time as well.

I'm not really looking for any answers, I just wanted to vent a little. Its really hard to see my way through this right now and I could just use some support I think. Its difficult to see friends because I'm living out in the styx and both my siblings have moved away so I can't really talk to them either :/

so yeah. (!)

2. CyanChachki

First off, I want to say that I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. It's not easy living in an environment where two people pin you between their problems when they should be sorting it out themselves. Have you suggested marriage counselling or maybe some family counselling? Something that'll allow all three of you to express your feelings in a healthy way? I suppose it's easier said than done but you could always go to therapy just by yourself with the occasion of one or both of your parents joining. Maybe you could set up a sort of intervention with just the three of you.