1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love my friend. I think she's straight. How do I ask?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BananaB, Mar 3, 2015.

1. BananaB

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have an issue.

I've fallen big time for a friend. I just adore her, I just don't think she's got the same preferences though. I'm only "out" per se to around 4 people, this friend not being one. I want to find out if this is a futile romatic venture but I have no idea how to go about finding out her preferences. If I outright ask it might get awkward and the last thing I want to do is lose her completely. I'd rather have her as just a friend than nothing.

Could I make her aware of my sexuality and see how she takes it? How do I bring that up though without it being really weird?

2. Juli

Oh god, the straight girls... This is a tough one. I would gently ask about sexuality. Maybe you should bring up your opinion on some form of bigotry involving LGBTQA rights or issues, and speak about it passionately. That will at least start a conversation, and maybe you'll get a feeling on her options about it, at least. Move up from there, based off of her reaction.

3. Itsasecretx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe pick up an article or click on one while your with her as if you found it on a social site and ask what she thinks of homosexuality etc.. and go from there.. you never know where it might lead... if she's cool with I all, maybe tell her if you feel comfortable.

4. Fandom obsessed

I was in a situation like this. I was deeply in love with my friend and I still am. She got married and had a child.They got divorced since then and I still love her the same. I've been wanting her for years.

I brought up the situation without it being weird but that's because she's very chill and laid back.

5. randomly me

randomly me Guest

when talking about the future or whenever the topic of a partner comes up just say boyfriend or girlfriend when talking about hers.like "could you ever imagine having kids with your boyfriend or girlfriend?".that way you can test the waters without coming out to her, it just seems like you want to be respectfull of her own sexuality.If a person is straight they usually say something about them being straight when you do this.if you don't get an answer like that there is a chance she isn't 100% straight.

6. moonshinenine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It only gets weird and awkward if you make it weird and awkward haha. Just kid around and ask her if she could see herself with a woman and see what she says.

7. BananaB

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok so since posting this we had a day together in the moutains and I spent the entire time there trying to find a way to turn the conversation into a topic that wouldn't be completely off course and peculiar to bring sexuality up in. Unfortunately I didn't succeed.

I guess I'll jsut have to keep trying.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to mention something in the news about LGBT people. Or, try sending an email/text first. I haven't really come out to anyone in person yet.