1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving unsolicited advice

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Callie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    One of my best friends told me that she and her boyfriend are moving in together soon. She seems happy and I think her boyfriend is a great guy. They met seven months ago and have been officially together for two months now. Usually I'm all for jumping in with both feet, but that just seems crazy soon to me.

Do I tell her that I think it's a bad idea? She hasn't asked for my opinion and it's really none of my business anyway, but I don't want her to get hurt. Am I an asshole if I don't say anything? Is it even too soon or is it just me? :help:

2. MeganMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No your not an asshole your just concern.
    Maybe you can suggest to your friend, for starters why don't you too just move in together on the weekends. This will allow you to get comfortable with each other and get to know each more.

Maybe tone down the advice and suggest the same but on a smaller scale.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot depends on the quality of the friendship. I've always cultivated friendships where I want complete honesty from my friends and want them to tell me if they see me making a mistake, and, in turn, the same goes in reverse. So we have the social contract to do that.

If you have the same social contract with your friend, then I'd say absolutely you should tell her. If you don't specifically have that social contract, then I'd say it's your call. If it were me, I'd probably tell her. Do keep in mind that with the oxytocin still flowing, she's likely to ignore you. Oxytocin completely obliterates common sense and people do a lot of really stupid shit. :slight_smile:

4. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the advice! I'll bring it up next time I see her.