1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New relationships, the problem of being bi...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Radioactive Bi, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted get get people's views on here on an issue, I think is somewhat unique to bisexual people, when dating and entering new relationships.

You see, I have recently been getting back into the dating game now I've been separated a while. But the difficulty about me being bi, is that for every new person I may enter a relationship with, if I want to be honest about who I am, I essentially have to come out again and again. If I go out with someone of the other gender, I'm assumed to be hetero and if it's of the same I'm assumed to be homo. Now, if you fall into one of those two groups, then that's fine as your orientation is already correctly assumed and the need to come out is negated and there's no problem.

However, if I come out as bi, it can often be a deal breaker. As such, it can create a closeting effect making me reluctant to hosetly come out. This is by no means out if fear or shame, but more out of concern I could be sabotaging my chances. Now I know, one could argue that people who wouldn't date me because of my orientation aren't worth dating, but when you really like someone, you almost don't want to risk spoiling things.

So it's a bit if a paradox between being honest and true to yourself, against sometimes hiding part of yourself over the potential consequences of losing someone you are attracted too.

Sorry for the long post. What are your thoughs on this?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

People make a lot of assumptions. It's the way of the world. But the way to overcome that is by opening your mouth and telling them. Deal breaker? yeah, sometimes. but so what. It will only break the deals that weren't meant to happen. and those that hang around are there because they are really interested in us, and not in some "assumption" or lie (albeit unstated or unintentional). :goodluck:

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like you said, anyone who looks down on you because of your bisexuality isn't someone worth dating. If that's a part of you that they can't accept, then it's just like anything else about you that's a dealbreaker. It's not fair but unfortunately it is a possibility.