1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice involving family ignoring me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sporkstress, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Sporkstress

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, I'd just like to say hi to everyone! I'm excited to have stumbled across an awesome site like this. :slight_smile:

OK, well, to delve into my story ...

Beginning of 2013, I was forcibly outed by my parents (Mom and Stepdad). They ended up confronting me about it, and they were quite supportive. My Stepdad had said (in private, of course) that my Mom wasn't comfortable with the idea of me being a lesbian but he figured she'd come around. He then proceeded to be supportive in a variety of ways - taking me shopping in men's areas of clothing stores, showing me local gay bars and such ... It was amazing. Anyways. Turns out he was bipolar, and I'm not sure if that's why his behavior changed, or if he was putting on a façade (not to blame bipolar disorder in any way), but he started to suddenly flip around and tease me a lot of being gay. I then turned to my Mom for support, who was of course, supportive.

I came out to my close friends afterwards, and of course, they were all supportive or already knew. Hahaha ... Go figure.

Then, my Mom and Stepdad split, so my Mom and I moved back to her hometown ... And it is, of course, the typical "small town full of conservatives and religious people" that usually comes along with these stories. Amongst the move, I started to question if I was bisexual rather than gay, due to confused feelings. I told my Mom (which I now regret) because she immediately responded with "Oh I know, I've always known you fancy girls and guys". The way she almost immediately blurted that out made me realize I probably should have confided in someone else. She was uncomfortable with the whole situation.

So, we moved, and I experienced life more, and realized that of course, sexuality is fluid, but that I am gay, and have known so for my whole life. I'm now content with my confidence and have tried to correct my Mother's thinking by one, straight up telling her that I'm, well, not straight, lol, and two, simply sliding in comments now and then like " oh she's cute" or "I don't know about him but his girlfriend is cute" kind of thing.

When we moved, we moved in with family. Which are homophobic, of course. However, when I first came out, my Mom told the family that we are currently living with. They were fine and supportive. Now that we're here though, they seem to be acting the opposite.

Here's where my current problem comes in. My Mom seems to now ignore every fact that I'm gay, no matter what I say. My sister (who accepts me) told me that she tried to talk to my Mom about it all and the convo kind of went like "yeah, she's gay." "I don't know... Are you sure? Are you surreeee?" I kind of wish my sister never told me that, because it just makes me feel like my Mom doesn't support me at all. She doesn't ignore ME, mind you, but rather, the fact that I'm gay, or anything that remotely could send the conversation that way.

Also ... My Aunt (whom we are living with) has a history of being sexually abused. My Stepdad was an abuser as well, not sexually, but mentally. As a result, my Aunt (and probably the rest of the family since everyone has big mouths here) thinks I'm "confused" and that my Stepdad sexually abused me, and that's why I "think I'm gay". She says that " experiences like that make you question your sexuality". I have straight up told her I was NOT ABUSED but she seems to not get the picture.

So, with my Mom ignoring me, and the rest of the family trying to "change me", along with saying one thing and doing another, I feel so unaccepted. I feel like, at this point, no more words can be said to change their minds - my family out here is obviously set in their ways, and my Mom is going through so much break up stuff that she probably doesn't even want to think of my crap.

I should add, that my sister and supportive friends are all back in my old town. Far away from here. :frowning2:

So ... What do I do? How does one handle a situation like this? I desperately want my Mother to accept me, but its just not happening. I'm working and trying to save up money to rent my own apartment or something so I can move out of this situation, but these things don't happen overnight. I just want my old support net back. And if not, I want to meet new people and make a new support group. (Which is why I'm glad I stumbled across this site ... This is awesome. :slight_smile: )

But yeah ... Anybody have any advice on how to navigate this situation? Anything i else I could do or say to sway my family? Or, as my sister thinks, should I just leave them be and focus on myself and moving myself forward?

(By the way, if you read all this, thank you. I appreciate it. :slight_smile: and sorry for the length. Lol.)

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

You've got a great long-term plan: save up, get a job that can support yourself, move out -- preferably to where your old support network is. But in the meantime? Well, you're already out to your mother, and she is somewhat supportive, so that makes it a bit easier. I suggest you write her a letter where you explain all of this to her. That would be something that she could read and re-read. You could tell her how much it meant to you when she believed you and supported you when you first came out; and how hurtful it is now; and how much you love her and need her help. That can only help. And if nothing changes, well family is sometimes like that and you'll just need to work harder for the long-term goal. But it really might help to write it all out for her.
    And welcome to EC. This really is an awesome forum!
    :welcome:

3. Sporkstress

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for your speedy response and warm welcome. :slight_smile:

I am actually a huge writer (meaning I write a lot), so this is a viable solution to take for me. Thank you so much for the input. :slight_smile: