1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saying "I am Gay"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by fredlo2010, Mar 7, 2015.

1. fredlo2010

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

This is my first post :slight_smile: I hope I am posting it in the right section since my question is a little confusing.

I am a 27 year old gay man and I have been out of the closet since I was 19; but the other day I could not say I was gay to a group of people.

I have a few new friends in school one girl and two guys. We have known each other for only a few months. I have know the girl for a little longer because we took another class before. One of the guys happens to be fiend of a coworker. We always talk and hang around outside class and stuff. We have in general a good relationship that I would say I am interested in keeping and growing. I am already making plans for next semester to take a class with one of the guys.

So yesterday my friend the girl had to leave early and we stayed in the class. So they started making a comment and sort of asked me if I had anything with her (it was a joking kind of talk; they said it in a goofy way because she is very attractive) I said "no" then I turned to my table... the class started... and I was thinking :

"Why did not I say that I am gay?"

I thought of various ways to do it while we were in class; all kind of moods: joke, sarcasm...but it was late for that, anything I would say after the fact would sound awkward; I lost my moment.

This is something I have never thought about; a situation I have never been in, and I did not know how to react.

Any advice of this? :dry:

2. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey fredlo,

I don't think there's anything you need to be concerned about there. You were in a room full of people you really did not know, so why is there a need to share with them what your sexual preference is at all? Truth be told, it isn't any of their business anyway. Perhaps in time you can open up more to this group and they can get to know you better. But did anyone in the class make any "I'm straight" declarations while you were there? So I don't think you needed to be compelled to make any gay announcements either. They asked if you had a thing for your female friend. You truthfully said you did not. That was the truth, and it was a fully sufficient answer.