1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm shy and awkward with the guys i like

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by edy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I come up with a very limited conversation, stupid/uninteresting questions... and they give me two words answers... very awkward.

On the other hand, I'm very friendly and outgoing with guys I DON'T like and girls, too:lol:

2. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    How can I change this?

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm shy and awkward with everyone!

Hmm, how? It's a gradual process. I started talking about things I was knowledgeable or interested in, listening to feedback, and making an effort to reach out, even when I really didn't want to. I'm also very curious by nature, and found that most people like to talk about themselves, so asking questions helped break the ice.

Practice is important. The more I did it, the less I started putting weight into any one person's opinions. Online is a good place to start. Just start small conversations, especially when you get those moments of hesitation. It gets a lot easier, trust me. :slight_smile:

4. CrazyAwkward

I'm shy and awkward with pretty much everyone haha. Here's something that might help you get more detailed answers. Ask open ended questions. For example, if you ask someone how their day was, they'll probably just say "fine" or "good" because that's a conditioned response we all have. You could try following up that question with "what was good about it?" or "What was your favorite part of the day?" Anything that makes them think and get more conversational. It also helps to focus on things like this, that make them remember good things that made them happy. If they're thinking of happy things when they're talking to you, it'll help them associate you with happy things, and they might try to talk to you and be around you more often.

Hope this helps a little. Keeping open questions in mind has helped me a bit. When I'm not feeling to shy to remember them lol.

5. Psaurus918

Same. It sucks because I really like my best friend and he's super hot so our conversations aren't really normal lol

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is nothing wrong with being shy. It can be cute. However, I have found that there a few things that you should do; which make conversations less awkward. Firstly, always look people in the eye, smile occasionally in the conversation and listen more than you talk (as a shy person this is your strength, use it). Remember that people are so concerned with how they are coming across that they don't really care how you are coming across.

7. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    He's very nice, but I just don't want to show much interest

8. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Don't be coy, just put it out there. The worst that will happen is he will reject your advances, you'll feel crushed for a while, and you'll find someone else. You will get over the rejection, just keep trying.

That's the advice I'd give to my 13+ year old self if I could. To many times I just sat quiet as opportunities walked by. Always wondering if the other person was into me, and how I didn't want to be rejected. I've learned now that the pain of rejection goes way, the sadness from being alone went away when I accepted myself for who I was. Might feel like the end of the world when things don't go as you want them to with someone, but it's not. You'll survive. You'll learn.

Some good tips up above. Practice and visualize some introductions, and have a story to tell. I had to spend months just speaking up in regular situations to overcome some of my social anxiety. IMO, if you have a hard time talking normally to strangers, how can you have any success talking to someone you are interested in. So, that's where I started.

9. Justinian20

Awwww! don't be shy boy, just tell yourself that you are playing the role of a man who is interested in getting to know another man for a potential friendship or relationship. Don't be afraid, some fear is good for it makes you take care of yourself.

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

That is so true, if you kinda act the part of the person you want to be you sort of start adopting those qualities as your own instead of just acting the part.

Be who you want to be, and embrace it fully.