1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not your typical falling for best friend story

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by keng96, Mar 11, 2015.

1. keng96

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey guys, hope it's ok that I'm asking for your advice! Seemed like a good place to ask for help after seeing an old thread that was sort of similar to this.

I'm a 23 year old male. About a year and a half ago I became friends with a lesbian via her straight roommate who I was having a fling with. At the time, I didn't have a romantic interest in her. We became best friends. BEST friends... as in I've never felt this close to a friend before, let alone a girl (I think the fact that she was lesbian allowed us to get really close as friends first before your typical sexual-tension drama).

Long story short, I started falling for her about 6 months ago; and since then I've definitely fallen. She has a history of dating guys in high school.. and has made out with some in college (while she's drunk, of course)... but she is clear to everyone now that she is a lesbian and not bisexual. The thing is.. rather than saying she has always been gay and it only took her until college to come out (which is what I thought was generally the norm when people come out?).. she is convinced she WAS straight when she was dating guys (I hope I'm not offending anyone; I understand sexuality is very fluid and complex). Dunno if that means anything.

So I thought I was hopeless and I'd have to just wait until a straight girl who I was interested in came along. We're so close that I told her that I have a serious crush on her and it didn't really make things awkward or anything.. but she reassured me although she "loves me more than anything" she is gay and wasn't interested in guys; and that she'd keep an eye on making sure she didn't lead me on any more. But we hang out and talk almost every day. She's met my family, I've met hers. We typically haven't done anything beyond platonic other than mild cuddling/platonic flirting; but since I told her I had a crush on her she's actually ramped things up rather than setting boundaries. We've drank together and she's been a little extra flirty and held my hand too. We've slept in the same bed and (sort of?) spooned.. never kissed. I've remained platonic and haven't come onto her though (trying to be respectful of her sexuality), other than jokingly. And she had previously texted me while drunk saying that she "wants me" haha. She has told me she has hung out with her ex BOYfriend recently and that they sometimes still kiss and stuff, but that it doesn't mean anything to her. She has gotten jealous when I was with other girls. So... my point is I'm still CONFUSED. I've convinced myself that it's not going to go anywhere but then she gives me a mixed signal. Do I lay down barriers and tell her to stop confusing me? Do I just continue as it is until I find someone else? Do you think this is a case of pansexuality and she in fact is attracted to me? She means the world to me right now and I don't want to hurt our relationship by coming onto her if she in fact does see me as just a friend.

I hope this post doesn't sound too ridiculous... but I need some advice :/

Thanks guys

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2015 at 11:16 AM ----------

Sorry I think I meant bisexuality rather than pansexuality, haha (sorry for the double post.. won't let me edit again.)

#1 keng96, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. keng96

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Any opinions?

3. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't waste time and energy pursuing her when she identifies as a lesbian. You'll just get hurt. I don't think that the fact she thought she was "straight when she dated guys" invalidates her gayness at all. I'm gay and I used to feel straight when I dated girls. Given I did know I was at least bisexual, but I didn't think my attraction for men was something I would ever act on. She is who she says she is, and you shouldn't try to make anything happen because you'll lose a friend for one, and in the off chance that it happens, you'll probably make her feel terrible and confused if in fact she did start liking you. Not to mention in the end she'll probably go leave you for a woman.

It's just better to go for someone who you have a chance with and save yourself the heartache. Don't worry man there's a beautiful, sweet girl out there who will like you just the way you are somewhere :slight_smile:

4. keng96

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks EpicConfusion.. it's just going to be so hard though. I've been in relationships before where I thought I was in love, until I started falling for this girl, haha. Also, sometimes it seems like she's the one trying to start something, but I don't know how to talk about these instances without making things awkward. I just don't know how I'm going to let her go. And I don't want to hurt her either by distancing myself.. we are best friends. Not that I'm wishful thinking, but what are the odds that she is a closet bisexual?

#4 keng96, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd she identifies as a lesbian she's probably thought about it extensively and come to the conclusion that a hetero relationships isn't what's she's looking for. Like I said even if she thinks she is possibly interested in you at first chances are it will turn out to cause much more heartache for both parties.

Just continue as you were. Change nothing about your behavior. Continue to be her friend. But mentally you must try to let go. I'm sorry if that sounds insensitive, but it's better if you try to quickly get over her. Try to go out and meet some other girls who might be interested. Maybe you'll meet somebody really great :wink: