1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Guy who wants to move in, not sure of relationship...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RydeOn, Mar 13, 2015.

1. RydeOn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey all, first time poster here. I have been struggling to find where I could get some advice or help, hope I can find it here. Sorry for the long post.

Just about 2-3 weeks ago I met this guy at my university's LGBTQ student group who sat down next to me and we started to get to know eachother. I am a senior (23 year old) who just moved out of on-campus living to go live in my own apartment and soon seeking out a house mate to share rent, so I thought it would be a good place to start in the student societies. He's 18, bi/pan, and just started his first year. We hit it off pretty good, he's really attractive, smart and funny. We added eachother on facebook and the next week we went out bowling together, and later he came back to mine and we had sex - awesome!

We continued to stay in contact, he told me how he really wanted to move in closer to uni as he lived a couple hours away and commuting was difficult to get to class everyday. I offered him the spare room but without him having a job, he would not be able to afford rent, but still was really keen to try. We also talked about relationships, I told him that I have never been in one and I am unsure if I am looking for one. He expressed continuously that he had slept with a lot of guys (even tried to sleep with another guy from the LGBTQ group before we went out the first time) and joked about being a 'man slut', crazy teen, and just wanted to have fun for his first year. He teased me a bit because I am a lot more masculine behavior-wise, and he is cute, young and androgynous - silly I know, but I grew up in a male-dominated environment through boarding school/military service and I like to be a bit more effeminate and just myself since I no longer have these demanding social pressures.

I did feel uneasy at first that I am 23 and he is 18, but he is quite mature, honest and heartfelt most of the time. He's cool with the age difference. We went out again and I helped him try to find a job and then later went back to my place, had a few drinks with another friend of mine and then went to a bar. We got pretty drunk, and started talking about living arrangements, my other friend who was there wants to move in as well but doesn't have a job either. So the guy I am dating asked if I would share a room with him and my other friend gets the second bedroom, so we could really cheap rent sorted. Being drunk it sounded like a good idea and we jokingly all said we should do it, but later wisely decided it best be tabled for a sober discussion.

However, later on that night we spoke about it again and he said that it would be cool to share a room with me and he would sleep on a separate mattress on the floor. He also "joked" that he could still get to go out and sleep with a ton of other guys. I felt my heart sink a little and told them that if I was going to share my private space with someone, it would be more than a 'friend with benefits' deal, and that we only just met as well, it's a big ask. He seemed to be open to talk about it, but we stopped and crashed back at home.

We have not spoken in a few days, I am not sure what to say. It sort of left off awkward the next day whilst nursing a bad hangover. I felt a bit embarrassed after a night of drunkenness, but we are uni students afterall. I just don't know where to go with this. I never had a boyfriend or girlfriend and I do get lonely and jealous of my friends who do have relationships sometimes. I don't know whether he could be genuine or I am just another mark on his list of fun-buddies and perhaps a source of cheap living in future. What do I say to him next time I see him? Am I just oblivious to a bad situation?

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds to me like you know exactly the situation your in and have handled it properly. He is looking for an accommodation and does not sound like he is anywhere near ready for a relationship. Not sure I see any reason for things to be awkward. Just keep it casual, reaffirm your initial instinct, which typically are the right ones. And if he remains a friend, great. If not, no harm no foul, you can move on.

3. Cesar123

He's just kinda a man slut, not really relationship material. The fact that he got into your pants, in his minds means he can basically do anything to you if it involves a little play later. Do not give the satisfaction of this. Act normal but I would refrain from having sex with him as he is using it, maybe not even knowingly, to advance himself( in this case a closer living arrangement ). I am sure he is a real nice guy, but he is not there to start a relationship wit you - you can tell by the fact he openly saids he will continue to have multiple sexual partners after you. Say safe and use protection :slight_smile:

4. RydeOn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @OnTheHighway

Thanks for the reassurance mate, I don't really understand if what I am doing now seems right or not, im too inexperienced when it comes to relationships. I think the thing is, he wanted to date before he found out I was looking for a housemate, maybe just to sleep with me. I have not advertised it yet, just looked for nice groups of people who could be potential good house mates. It does say something that he got into my pants on the first date though... Should I ask him again for a clear sober answer where he wants to take this?

@Cesar123

Thanks for replying, that is pretty much what I fear, I left my guard off because it has been literally over a year since I even went on a date... The annoying thing is he is a try-hard man slut as he jokes a lot about it, its really annoying and I just wish he wasn't. Again I don't know if I should ask him in person where we want to take this friendship. Yet he could lie or use sex as you say, to just move in for cheap rent and keep banging randoms... Should I keep quiet and wait for him to talk to me?

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Communication is always better than silence. But if you talk to him, keep an open mind and be cautious of how he responds.