1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not in love with my Girlfriend but i want to be

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by heanic, Mar 13, 2015.

1. heanic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi all ..im new here and would appreciate any advice.
    So last year i met my current girlfriend..we hit it off straight away and although physically she wasnt instantly attractive to me i did like her personality and grew to really love the bones off her.
    Now our sex life has never been amazing but now i find i never want sex with her..iv come to realise its partly because she is over weight, slobby and masculine at times..i like feminine women. Iv been honest and open with her about this and she agreed she doesn't make any effort to be attractive or feminine in any way whereas il dress nice for her and stay in shape etc.
    Anyway she is madly in love with me and wants us to buy a house together and settle down but im holding back because im scared someone will catch my eye one day and il miss that chemistry and exciting sexual spark you should have with your loved one. Dont get me wrong im not a cheat..i value our relationship..i just wish i could feel that spark and chemistry u feel when ur in love. This sounds so shallow..but i think sexual chemistry is important in a relationship is it not? I wish i was in love with her but i cant force it. Aside from these issues she is amazing

#1 heanic, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. heanic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Advice anyone?

3. Beware the Ides

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The only thing I can say here, other than expressing huge sympathy, is that I think it's really important to listen to yourself. It doesn't sound like there's an easy answer for you - the care that you have for her is valuable, but if you're feeling like you're missing something critical, that's real too. Sexual chemistry is really important for some people, and not so important for other people ... I used to think that sex was just a secondary thing, something I could live without as long as everything else was lined up right, but I've come to realize that sex and my sexuality are really important parts of who I am.

The one thing to remember is that it's okay to take some time and figure out what's right for you. Doing something just to please her even if it makes you uncomfortable won't help your relationship in the long run, and guilt and good intentions aren't a solid foundation either. You don't have to stay with someone just because they want you to.

4. scouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's only been a year and you're having doubts about things that are a key part of who she is. Now, there's absolutely no harm in trying to work through it, get the spark back and plenty of couple have to work at keeping that part of the relationship alive. But if it comes down to your attraction to her physically then that's not the best outlook in respect of settling down. Whatever your thoughts, I agree with the other poster that you should take your time in thinking it all through carefully to be sure. Maybe set a few months aside where you commit 100% to trying to get that spark back and then if not, well you tried. Also, take it easy on her self esteem, it doesn't have to be about looks or attraction, its about if you're right for each other in the long term. My guess and this is from my own experience is that the lack of sexual attraction will become more and more apparent, despite the fact you clearly adore her in other ways. It's heartbreaking no doubt but some things can't be forced. If that is the case then think about freeing yourself but also her - for someone who will love her completely just as she is. You both deserve that right.

#4 scouse, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. heanic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for your comments...both are very helpful. I have had a conversation with her expressing how i feel and my concerns for our relationship. Iv told her she is gorgeous to me and i love her but she has been letting herself go out of lazyness and therefore losing her self confidence which in turn has stopped her wanting to be attractive and take pride in herself. She has promised she is going to work on it and agrees with me 100%. I just hope we get some spark back because its not fair to either of us.

6. Really

Is there anything she used to like to do but has recently stopped doing like cooking or playing darts? Maybe you could sign up for some joint activity that might excite her a bit and in turn make her feel better about herself.
    I know what it's like to want to lose weight but it never seems to work unless you're feeling good about yourself which is a nasty Catch-22.
    I don't know if she would ever take up running but since I started, I'm pretty much "high" all the time. Check out the Couch to 5k program. It's very gentle and I'm flabbergasted that I can run 45 minutes straight no problem now.

7. heanic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for your help.. yes she tried running but gave up after a week..she cant stick to anything and she works in an office so sits all day then eats n watches tv at night. She loves dogs so im getting a dog to help get her motivated because i know she would walk it. This could be a slow process but il see how it goes :slight_smile: