1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to end a friendship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PunkRockKitten, Mar 13, 2015.

1. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I've been friends with this girl for a very long time. We met in the first grade when we played softball together and we have been close ever since. And now I just can't stand her anymore. It took me eight years to realize how awful she treats me. She's also super homophobic which has made it difficult for me to come to terms with being gay. And she told me that I chose to be depressed. Really she's just done a ton of terrible, awful things and I want her out of my life. I've stopped texting her for a while now. Around a month I think. She still sends me occasional texts saying hey or what's up or telling me to come back to church youth group. I'm doing everything I can to avoid her, but it's hard because we have too much in common. We're members of the same church, which makes me thankful that my parents don't take me often. We play at the same recreational softball league, although we're playing at our different high schools instead this season. She's showed up at my games a couple times though. We both like anime cons and cosplay, but I don't want to do those things anymore if it means I'll see her. We go to the same movie theaters and stores and just so many places that I could run into her. Please somebody just tell me how I can get rid of her. :tears:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're making a good start already - toning down communication types/volumes, spending time elsewhere and with other people, and so forth. If you think it's important to make a clean break with her to prevent future/imminent awkwardness, or just to get the situation off of her plate, it would be entirely appropriate to tell her that you don't think it's such a good idea that the two of you be friends anymore. You can be up-front and honest, and have no obligation to explain to her why if you're not comfortable.

It also sounds like you're feeling fairly hurt by this person (regarding coming out, and apparently other issues), and maybe that's part of the issue too. Less (or no) time around her may help, but you may also want to be more verbal with others (here, or elsewhere) about how, precisely, she's affected your life thus far.