1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I just like myself?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by llamahoox, Mar 14, 2015.

1. llamahoox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sure there are others of you out there that feel much the same way I do......do you find it hard to look at yourself in the mirror? Do you cringe everytime you accidentally catch sight of yourself in the mirrors in department stores? Do you avoid situations where others may see you in various forms of undress? Do you look at your body and thinnk that no one on the planet could ever possibly look at you and love you? Do you compare yourself with people in your life and wish that you looked like they do, or that you had their handsome features, or their hair, or their experiences or their confidence? Do you feel like a freak of nature? Do you feel like you are the one and only exception to the rule of God having never made a mistake? Do you wish you could throw off the shackles and just be your true self and not care one scratch what anyone ever thinks of you or what you look like? Is everyone else on the dating sites or the FB pages so much more attractive, handsome, gorgeous or sexy than you are?

I can answer a resounding 'yes' to all of these questions....and sadly I know I am not alone in this. Why cant we love ourselves just the way we are?

2. Beware the Ides

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    (*hug*)

No answers, just hugs.

(*hug*)

3. WearyWanderer

I used to feel very similarly to you. But let me tell you something: you are only as beautiful as you want yourself to be, and you are only as ugly as you think you are. If you think you are ugly, then the only thing you will feel when you think of yourself is disgust. But if you begin to see yourself as beautiful, then you will begin to feel beautiful. And you know what? However you see yourself will rub off on people. If you believe that you're pretty, then the people around you will see that, and they may think you're pretty too. It all comes down to self-esteem. You are only ugly right now because you believe yourself to be ugly, and even though you may think it is hard to change your opinion of yourself, it isn't. Once you begin to see your body through a better image, then you will be as beautiful as you aspire to be. :slight_smile:

4. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like this all the time. Friends and family always tell me to love myself and that I'm great how I am but it's really hard to believe them when I've been bullied so much. It's almost as if I've been conditioned to hate myself. Stay strong through, you are who you are and everyone is special :slight_smile:

5. bibiscuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i agree and sympathise; it can be really, really REALLY hard to love, or even like yourself, how do people do it?

in terms of positive thinking i'm not there yet myself, but i do believe that how you view yourself massively affects how other people in turn view you. in fact i agree with wearywanderer - how you see yourself will rub off on other people.

if you can find the things about yourself that you LIKE (there must be some) and focus on these, then in turn the things you dislike become less and less significant. think outside the box - are you great at conversation, empathising with others, are you generous, funny, do u have a good/quirky dress sense etc? You are important, and unique and you deserve to feel good about yourself.